1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - '75 Precision Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Panek, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Panek

Panek

Mar 20, 2009
    Warsaw, Poland
    Hey all!

Just wanted to show you my dream bass that I got in January. I was waiting with this thread to get a new phone with a better camera, so here it is now.

So a few years ago, due to a combination of many factors, I stared GASing for a '70's P... like, really GASing. Nothing else on my mind gear-wise. Long time Fender fan, already a happy 2009 AmStd P owner, some of my favorite players used them, I got a chance to play a couple from that era, loved the sound, the feel and the aesthetics like the big "TV logo"... modern reproductions just didn't cut it for me and looked kinda off without the darkened lacquer on the headstock. Oh, and mojo... love me some mojo!

In late 2018 I decided to focus on this, in mid-2019 I realized that my budget is beginning to look OK relative to what I've seen online, so I went and started looking around for one... and trust me, for the most part it wasn't a pleasant experience. I'm not located in the US, so it's not like every pawn shop, auction or classified ads site around here has old Fenders hanging around to pick from and see for myself. The only option to find anything good was to see what's going on out West. I turned to scouring Facebook ads all over the biggest cities in Europe, posting on Facebook Fender-related groups, checking eBay and Craigslist all over the US daily and TalkBass.com twice per day for anything.

I even made a "Wanted" thread on here where I listed the specs I was looking for: 1969-1976, all original, no modifications, TV logo, maple fretboard, none of that "baseball bat neck" stuff, all kinds of mojo on it, no case queens or investment pieces. Big thanks to @SwitchGear and @gfh218 for taking the time and participating, even though we didn't come to any agreement.

...and the most important thing: A SOUND DEMO! As I'm sure you understand, because I was buying via the Internet, I needed to see it in detail and hear it before pulling the trigger.

And oh boy, you guys wouldn't believe how problematic that is for people! Asking someone for a short video and sound demo or shipping to Poland often seemed like some sort of insult and made sellers suddenly back off. I can't believe how reluctant people are to sit down for 5 minutes and record themselves playing a few bass lines, so a prospective buyer can hear it before deciding. And what about overseas shipping? Why do so many consider it to be some sort of rocket science?

Just wanted to my story out there so maybe someone will reconsider shunning a foreign buyer away.

I was chillin', taking my time, and then in November I came across a eBay listing with this absolute beauty. Everything "clicked", so I exchanged messages with the seller, but nothing became of it. Some days later I'm on TalkBass as usual and I notice a familiar nickname. I drop him a line and sure enough @The Bass Clef is the seller from eBay! We started talking via the forum and after a couple of days and seeing a video clip where I could see the bass

After a looooooong wait because of Christmas and all of the excess shipping going on at that time, I finally got it!

IMG_20200209_132222.jpg

IMG_20200209_132439.jpg

As soon as I had it in my hands I immediately knew it's absolutely everything I ever wanted from a bass. No buyer's remorse here! It's exactly how I wanted it. It's light (well, at least for me - very close to my AmStd which I consider very confortable) and resonant, very responsive and punchy. I can dial in anything from a subtle tone to a heavier sound. The neck is definitely a little bit chunkier than a modern P, but it's still very comfortable in any position. One of the first things I did was play along to songs I like featuring P's from that era, and sure enough the same essence is there. Dream come true!

This baby has got plenty of mojo and patina and for a good reason. I don't know the story behind it, but it's definitely seen a lot of action, and I can definitely feel and hear why when I play it. 45 years in 2020 and still going strong! It's not retiring any time soon, 'cause I'll definitely be busy with it.

IMG_20200209_132544.jpg
    IMG_20200209_132606.jpg

The body was originally probably in Olympic White, but over time it changed like a vintage Fender should. It's was hard to show it with this light and a phone camera, but the back appears as if it turned into a shade of orange.

IMG_20200209_132832.jpg
    The lower side of the body has got all sorts of marks and chips ages of storing it with what we guess is the cord wrapped around it or making it stand in various places.

IMG_20200209_133029.jpg
    IMG_20200209_133229.jpg
    IMG_20200209_133247.jpg

Let me finish this post with extra praise for @The Bass Clef. Brian was extremely thorough in his communication with me, and most of all, very patient with all of my questions about the bass. His responses were quick, every detail explained, we worked out the shipping to Poland without any hassle, he took the time to record a video demo for me which was what sold me on the bass, the shipping was quick and the packaging was rock solid. The man definitely knows his stuff and whether you're in the US or somewhere abroad and looking for a bass I'd suggest dropping him a line.

Cheers!

2. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Absolutely beautiful; exactly what I'm looking for as well... : )

3. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Beautiful! It looks a lot like a '74 that I owned, except mine had the bridge and pickup covers, an A neck, and weighed a ton. The weight of mine is why I eventually had to give up on it, but the tone and playability were amazing. Congratulations, and best wishes for many years of great music with your new friend!

Panek likes this.
  4. brian579

brian579 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    Nice old P man! Congrats and play it in good health!

Panek likes this.
  5. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach, Wisconsin
    Nice 75 p Panek! Congrats.

I am still contemplating selling my 76 p as I do not use it. Only 5 stringers these days and would love another.

I just need the gumption to take pics and post sound samples...

Panek likes this.
  6. It looks great hope you get many years of enjoyment from it :thumbsup::cool:.

gozbass and Panek like this.
  7. Bottom 4

Bottom 4 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    I have a 77 P that I bought new back in the day. Still my go to

gozbass, Panek and Gerben like this.
  8. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Only just discovered the P love but don't know enough to buy anything as major as that! Got a brand new Ultra and that was a safe bet if not a classic. Would love some audio samples.

Panek likes this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    My '83 MIJ SQ Squier Precision is probably the closest I'll ever get to owning something like that , and it's pretty good, but...

Yours looks perfect.

Play it well and often. :)

10. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    IMG_0594 copy.jpg I went into Outlaw Guitars in NJ (when it was on Route 22). I played every Precision in the store. The pre-CBS ones were cool and, my goodness, $2000 or so! (long time ago). There was a lonely, beat-up, yellowing 1975 P-Bass leaning against the wall, not even on a wall hanger like the rest. It was, in my opinion, the nicest bass in the store. $600. It's still my favorite. (to be continued momentarily). And, congrats Panek! 70's Fenders are hit or miss, but the hits are incredible deals!

gozbass, 4-fingers, Glenn Mac and 8 others like this.
  11. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Awesome and apparently well worth your due diligence and wait.

Panek likes this.
  12. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    After gigging with it for years, the poly on the neck (which was already coming apart when I bought it) became as sharp as razor blades. Half of the pickup went dead. 1975 was borderline "vintage" so I did the unthinkable(?) and handed it over to John Kallas. Completely rebuilt and refinished in that 70's "I took the sunburst off" style (see John Deacon, John Wetton, Greg Ridley). It is the nicest bass I've ever played. My ex-wife even knew that, if the house was on fire, make sure the Fender gets out. It was hung next to the back door! IMG_0850 copy.jpg

13. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Congratulations to you, and props to @The Bass Clef for being a good guy and flexible enough to help make it possible for you to wind up with your dream bass! I enjoyed reading your story and I’m happy for you.:thumbsup:

14. Nice !
    None of that fake relicing on that beauty..

Panek and james condino like this.
  15. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    You can’t beat aged Olympic White. Beautiful P Bass.

Panek likes this.
  16. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Congratulations! Four and a half decades ago, I bought my '75 Precision brand new and still have it after all these years. They are a great music maker.

gozbass and Panek like this.
  17. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    Very nice, love the look of it and I am sure the tone is even better! :drool:

Panek likes this.
  18. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome bass.
    I little OT, but, does anyone know where the “TV Logo” description comes from?

Panek and mikewalker like this.
  19. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Yay!!! The TV logo was designed by Fender to make their instruments distinguishable from other brands when seen on tv concert shows. There are threads here that try to identify a bass in a video clip. It would be easy if you could read the headstock.

Panek and mikewalker like this.
  20. Panek

Panek

Mar 20, 2009
    Warsaw, Poland
    Whoops! Didn't finish that sentence, guess I didn't give the post a good read... what I mean to say was that after a couple of days and seeing a video clip where I could see the bass I finally decided to pull the trigger on it!

SwitchGear likes this.