1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: '83 Kramer Pioneer Double-J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ack, May 6, 2015.

1. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Just picked this up off CL. It had been lying around in a closet unused for many years.
    New Output jack, some re-soldering, clean-up, new strings (I'm pretty sure that the original Roto 66's were on it, as the very old packaging was still in the case), a setup and it's a pretty cool bass.
    I had to take some relief out of the neck and I was happy that after an initial sticking point, it turned smoothly. Having the trussrod adjuster at the heel forced me to remove the neck and clean/inspect everything there as well.

USA made (somewhere around 1983), Schaller roller bridge & tuners. I believe Schaller also made the pickups. V/V/T with 3-way pickup selector switch. The other 3-way switch is still a mystery - maybe series/parallel, but the up position is really hot. The JJ/JJ configuration is new to me, and kinda cool. 20150505_123637. 20150505_123656.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I think switch 2 is series parallel ack. I had the P/JJ version and that's what it did. I lost a bid war on Ebay one time for one of these. I was taken with the double double J concept.

ack likes this.
  3. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Thanks, Red - I'm pretty sure you're spot-on about the switch.