1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: "89 Korean Squier II P-Bass /w pictures and questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ObeyGiant, May 21, 2018.

1. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    I had a friend who was needing some quick money and had a bass he wanted to sell for super cheap. I didn't know anything about the bass but it looked nice and after a minor adjustment to the truss rod the thing seemed absolutely worth what he was asking for it so I bought it. Also I am aware that older MIJ and MIK Squier's are generally more sought after and valuable than the others of the bunch, at least MIJs; I never hear people talk about the Korean basses (being half Korean myself, I am interested to learn more about this bass)

Bass is covered in stickers and stuff, but I intend to remove all that and clean it up and give it a proper set-up, but the bass itself is pretty immaculate other than that.

IMAG1031.

I thought it was weird the bass didn't have a pickguard (the access to the pots is in the back behind a plastic cover); I mean every P-Bass I've seen/owned has had a pickguard - it's kind of part of the look of a P IMO. I have a spare pickguard from my CV 60s P-Bass, but as you can see the holes don't align for the knobs/jack.
    IMAG1032.
    Does anyone know of a place I could get a pickguard that would fit this bass? I am still considering not putting one on it; I just think it would look killer with a pickguard of any kind on it really.

Other than that stuff. The neck, fretwork, sound, and everything else about this instrument is super quality: on par with my Squier CV 60s P that I have had for a several years now that I have absolutely adored (especially for the price; I didn't think it could be beat... but this may have changed the game a little).
    IMAG1033.
    Don't ask me who put those strings on >.> but I promise I will fix it.

MEKer likes this.
  2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    good score for you....I like the look without the pickguard. I'd probably get rid of the stickers, sand it down, paint it black and to satisfy an old itch, put some glow-in-the-dark design on it :D

mbelue likes this.
  3. I've got an 88 Squier II in red, like this one.

vpwjfeo1eegytknc9hid.

These basses never had pickguards.

General consensus seems to be that the necks are great. Most seem to be plywood bodies.

I swapped the stock pickup for a Fender 62 and am very happy with is as a back-up bass.

upload_2018-5-21_22-5-38.

I put a sticker on mine:

full.

4. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I bought one of these for a bass to take to jams, someone had attempted a psychedelic paint job. On the upper bout they’d hand painted “LSD”. The bass played well, plywood body, made a great bass for jammers.

5StringBlues likes this.