1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: 98/99 MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe (w/pix of course)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, May 30, 2011.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    So, I finally moved a bass I had here on TB and went to Guitar Center to get an American J Bass. I have Two American P's that I LOVE and my Geddy is good, but not an American or a traditional Jazz. A little too tinny for me (even though I am a Geddy disciple!). I went home with an American Jazz Special Candy Apple Red, Maple board. Very nice. But ... I soon had buyer's remorse. As much as I love Fenders, I feel like the Special is a MIM that is MIA. The tuners, the hardware, the gig bag ... c'mon. So, I did some digging and found an American Standard at a Guitar Center in Allentown, PA. I decided I was going to go and do the 30 day deal and go with an American Standard. As the guy was going into the back to get the case I spotted what turned out to be a used 98 or 99 MIA Jazz Deluxe. It has some mojo - enough to not care if she gets knocked around a bit (as a bar band bassist's basses often do). It is that really cool White Blonde and the active electronics give it enough bassiness to cover some (not all) of the ground of my beloved 08 P-Bass. And, even though there are some nicks on the neck, it's an American Fender neck - which I would argue are some of the nicest feeling bass guitar necks around.

After A/B-ing it against the 2010 American Standard, I went with this for the same price as the (weekend discounted) American Special. I've always wanted the white/tort combo as well (my Ric, P, P fretless and Geddy are all black/white). Long story short, I probably paid a few more bucks than I would've here on Talkbass for this thing, but it feels great. Looking forward to rehearsal this week.

If any of you have one of these (similar year), let me know what you think of yours. Any good or bad things to be on the lookout for, etc.

And now, the pictures...

5778992616_30baa10287_z.

5778448821_524040b5b4_z.

5778449063_a8cbf54492_z.

5778993410_76588c0d0a_z.

5778993674_38153b469d_z.

5778994114_b05b38603d_z.

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Nice score.

3. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Sweet bass...that color combination is excellent. Are the pickups original? I thought the late 90s were Suhr years...

4. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I thought they were originals. Perhaps not. They say noiseless on them.

5. Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Apr 9, 2011
    MA
    Nice bass. For me, new is always the best option, since warranty can come into play, and you never really know what you're getting with a used instrument. Regardless, I like white Jazz basses, and yours is a beaut.

6. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Thanks. I always went new but then realized with my propensity to GAS that new is a guaranteed money loser ... Unless I am sure I will be keeping it- like my Ric.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A nice looking bass...congrats! That's about all I know about 'em. I am too a 'buy new' type player.

8. cccy

cccy

Nov 23, 2010
    London, UK
    I have a 2005 make. Light, versatile, balanced and well crafted. Some minor flaws but I love that bass to death and rely on it for everything. My favourite possession, ever!

I do wish there was an active/passive switch though.