NBD-98 Japanese Geddy Lee Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chaser1, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1

Aug 24, 2010
    Canada
    Last night I went out and picked up this beauty 98 Crafted in Japan Geddy Lee jazz bass. It plays really great and just sounds awesome and full. This is the first Fender Jazz that I have owned and I really do love it. There are a couple small paint chips on it but really it’s a 98 that has been played, how would I not expect that, plus once it has one you don’t need to baby it! It definitely needs a clean up as there is 10 years worth of hunk built up on the frets and a good polish but that is cosmetic. The only two problems I see are the pots could probably upgraded as they have that loose feeling that pots get as they age, they work perfectly with no crackly sound, they are just a little loose. The other is that the finish on the neck is starting to wear a bit on the 3rd and 5th fret. It’s not something you see unless looking closely and you can’t feel it but I am wondering if I should just use a little bit of clear nail polish to seal it back up?

2ACAD024-951D-45A2-A99F-5D01B9C055A1.jpeg E7DB405E-C41F-4FE1-B2A6-996D5E71890E.jpeg

2. Chaser1

Chaser1

Aug 24, 2010
    Canada
    Also I am planning on swapping out the pickguard for a b/w/b one, has anyone had any luck finding one for a 98 Geddy? I tried printing off the template for the Geddy from Terrapin and the template didn’t match. WD does not ship to Canada so that’s out as well. I hear the 99 and prior one are different from the later ones.

3. I recommend a full set up with whatever minor repairs the bass might need.

I had three of my basses set up/repaired in the last five months that were nearly unplayable, and now they're like new!

It may be a pain if you're not near a good store or tech, but I am an avid fan of set ups now.

Good luck.

Mike

4. Chaser1

Chaser1

Aug 24, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks Mike,

I am pretty picky on setups, I have paid for a setup twice and both times I wound up tweaking it to my liking once I receive it back, so now I do them myself. Same with the pots, I will likely just change them out when I find a new pickguard.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021