NBD - a SHORT story!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petch, Sep 5, 2020.

1. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    With Covid lingering and the band on hiatus, I decided to spring for a new bass to spice things up. This G&L Tribute Fallout bass seemed like just the ticket to try out a short scale bass without spending big bucks. I've been interested in short scales and have played a few, but never owned one until now. My research proved to be correct - this bass is easy and FUN to play. I also own a Sadowsky NYC Satin Jazz, a Sadowsky Metro P-J, and a Lakland Skyline P-bass; they are all at higher price points and quality levels. So how does a bass in this price range stack up? Really well! Nice fretwork, action just needed a minor truss rod tweak, and everything works quietly and as it should. The surprising part for me was just how good it sounds! MFD pickup with Volume, Tone, and a 3-position mini–toggle switch for parallel/split/OMG modes. It's quite the little tone machine, I must say, and there is nothing lacking based on its scale length. Happy camper here! :thumbsup:

DSC_2315 copysmaller.jpg
    DSC_2316 copysmaller.jpg

DSC_2313 copysmaller.jpg
    DSC_2333 copysmaller.jpg

el jeffe bass, DanGR, grrg63 and 41 others like this.
  2. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Nice. These seem like a great design at a real nice price. The big MFD is a powerful and toneful pickup.

3. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Short scales can be real nice basses.

(okay I have one)

Enjoy!

petch likes this.
  4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Lovely! Perfect fit for your stable... can't wait to play it!

petch likes this.
  5. Very nice. :thumbsup: Did it come with a gig bag? I've seen some pics with gig bags and some without.

I recently started a thread about these titled "a Fallout for the rest of us" but it sank faster than the Titanic. :whistle:

rllefebv and petch like this.
  6. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    fallout-vault-boy-sad-vault-boy-sad-1156354600788hfpyc4ew.png

*if not into games its 'mascots of Fallout games. My fav. Loved its predecessor Wasteland too. Now I need to watch some Mad Max/Road Warrior.

And back to bass, cant wait to see one of these in person.

teh-slb, Oddly and petch like this.
  7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    It did not come with a gig bag. I will be adding it on. :)

Doctor Morbius likes this.
  8. Thank you for responding. :thumbsup: I saw a gig bag in a Sweetwater listing so I didn't know if it was a mistake or if they came with one.

I'm tempted by the surf green ones, however, the nut is a little wider than I'm used to and it has a slim neck profile. I'll have to try one in person on this one, rather than taking a chance on ordering online.

Thanks again!

petch likes this.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Very nice. Congrats.
    This bass is really interesting to me, I actually prefer the Tribute version as it doesn't have that racing stripe on it yet has that some wonderful MFD pickup.

petch likes this.
  10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Beautiful bass! I notice it's made in Indonesia, so I'm guessing it doesn't come in left handed. I guess I could contact the company to find out. I've been looking for a Mustang style bass in lefty but this one raises the bet one more step-- it has that big fat soapbar that I like! Do you know anything about the pickup and settings-- is it active or passive? Congrats! :thumbsup:

petch likes this.
  11. Don`t know about it being a Soapbar pickup. It`s a MFD pickup and it will kick your b*tt! :D

It is passive but has a good range of tones with the 3 way switch.

alaskaleftybass and petch like this.
  12. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I like the characteristics of the bass except for the short body horns. I have a CIJ Mustang that has a similar body shape. It’s comfortable on a strap, but not as appealing to my eyes. I like the look of the G&L pickup and the options it provides. I’d like to look at one with my ears....

petch likes this.
  13. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    I love that racing stripe but I’m not shelling out 1600 for it!

Orangeclawhammr likes this.
  14. Terry Farmer

Terry Farmer Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2020
    That is a fine looking bass. I would love to try one out.

petch likes this.
  15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Very nice bass. Beautiful!:thumbsup:

petch likes this.
  16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Oddly enough, I just posted in that thread which will guarantee its resting place in the deep. I've killed many a fine thread!!

-robert

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Oh yeah... @petch - Nice bass!! I've really wanted to try a Fallout... that's a beauty!

-robert

petch likes this.
  18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    That's nice. Enjoy!

I lusted for a green launch edition (with stripes and matching headstock) until I saw the price and had to change my drawers.

Is it me, or is the "bottle opener" on the headstock less pronounced that usual?

petch likes this.
  19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Beautiful bass. Congrats. It almost gave me gas until I checked Sweetwater's listings....

Is it true that that thing is almost 10 lbs?!?!?!?!?!

petch likes this.
  20. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Congrats, that looks great.
    I've owned several L-1000s, of which the Fallout is the "baby brother" to. So I know exactly what theses should sound like, which is glorious.
    I agree the launch versions of the Fallout (with the racing stripe) were not exactly my cup of tea looks-wise. There will eventually be Fullerton-made Fallouts without stripes, but when I learned there were Tribute versions coming out, I did not hesitate to place my order thru FretNation.
    I expect mine any day (surf green), and can't wait.
    I'm hoping mine is on the lighter side, I can't imagine a short-scale bass at 10lbs.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Pocket4 and petch like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021