1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD A very slightly used Ibanez SR655 found me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walldaja, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Went to GC specifically to look at trading a bass they said they had. When I got to the store it wasn't there--same issue I had last week but with a different bass. Their stock resembled a thrift store at the end of a payday too--nothing interesting left hanging.

I then made my obligatory run to Sam Ash. Whoa, they had several interesting things hanging on their wall. I looked at a new SR405--liked the color; but, when I looked at how close in price it was to a very gently used SR655 I immediately asked for a cable and played it. I was specifically looking for an active / passive bass--the SR655 fits that bill.

I didn't get what I had hoped for in direct trade but they took another 30% off the SR--sweet enough.

When I got the bass home I just had to play it for a while. Also took it to church this morning and played it.

Review. This bass has Nordstrand pickups. A neck P and a bridge J. The model I got is the brown burst flat. I thought I would have liked a natural flat one; but, the dark neck sort of clashes with it. They had an SR650 in stock new for almost $350 more than the SR655 I bought.

Biggest thing I noticed about the bass was its weight--8.28 pounds vs. the 10.82 of my Fender Jazz V Satin. This thing also has an amazing range of sounds between the different pickups and the preamp (or without the preamp). Just remember to turn down the volume when going from active to passive to prevent a "pop."

Though I'd have problems with the string spacing (16.5 mm) but that wasn't even an issue.

The only thing I don't like about it is the quick change bridge--having a three-handed alien handy for string changes is useful to keep the ball end where it belongs. A four or five year old also works well (remember to clean their little fingers first).

I'm real happy. Now its got me thinking of unloading the Fender anchor.

Attached Files:

2. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Congrats on your new ibanez! I have several 5 and 7 series SR basses, and I'm continually surprised at how well they feel, sound and perform compared to higher priced US instruments. Even their entry level basses have something going for them. Enjoy!

3. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I agree, Ibanez basses are very consistent across their models. I bought two Fender basses that were immediately discontinued and they flooded the market with their parts inventory. Didn't help the value of those basses. I started with Ibanez and half of my instruments carry their brand.

4. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Once you discover how to do it correctly, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. And never a twisted string.

Looks nice. Liking the reverse-P pickup.

walldaja likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a great Ibanez. Slow your roll about letting go of the Fender. That sounds like a regret waiting to happen.

SirMjac28 and walldaja like this.
  6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Unlike you it took me a long time to become comfortable with the Ibanez tight string spacing and I never became completely comfortable with the wide necks that result from anyone's wide spaced fiver. But a Squier VI taught me to deal with the spacing and even tighter and last November I traded for a used Ibanez SR605. It seems to be slowly and surely becoming my favorite bass. It is the first fiver I have owned that has me thinking maybe I don't need a four and the first non-Fender I have truly loved. Now, the SR505 that I had owned previously and briefly would probably have done the same if I had stuck with it long enough to get comfortable with it. But I did not. At this point I can still say that Fender is my first choice for a four but the Ibanez SR's are my clear favorite for a five. Enjoy your SR655!

walldaja likes this.