NBD: A white one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neo1, May 13, 2016.

1. At first I blamed my son. If he hadn't had tennis practice run so late after school, I wouldn't have hung out at work waiting to go pick him up, and I wouldn't have been bored, and wouldn't have gone onto Craigslist, and I wouldn't have seen a just-posted MIM 2012 P-Bass...

Of course, I didn't need a bass - I have several. But I don't actually have a Fender P-Bass (just a Jazz and PJ, and some Squiers, and non-Fender precisions, and...). And I never thought I'd want a white bass. And it's "only" a MIM.

But then I wrote the guy. And then called him. Seems he bought it new a few years ago to play in church, but didn't really play it much (sounds like the "little old grandmother who only drove on Sunday" line). I'm thinking the price is low enough ($275) that while it's not a steal, it's good enough that I shouldn't pass it up, or that I could even flip it and make $50-$100 (using that term reminds me how I'm spending too much time on TB). Just the fact I thought that was a decent price without asking anyone makes me think I'm spending too much time on TB. So I guess TB is more to blame than my son...

When I picked my son up, we discussed it, and we call the guy again to tell him we're coming. Sure enough, it's mint - not a scratch or blemish on it (just a little dust around the pickups), with all the original tags, etc., a BEAUTIFUL neck, and even a gig bag thrown in. My son and I both take a turn on it, and it plays nicely - real nicely. The neck is a little larger than my other basses, but man it's a smooth-playing instrument. So I bought it.

I've played it the last two days, and my thoughts about flipping it are evaporating (hey, my son can play it in church, and it's a nice contrast to my black bass, and it's easy to see in the dark, and...I can think of several more reasons to keep it). Best of all, my wife didn't bat an eye when I showed her my impulse buy. Nothing better than a new purchase that leaves you satisfied.

Bass.JPG Bass 3 (2).JPG Bass 3 (1).JPG

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yeah: i hear that! way pretty! and except for your son being totally at fault, nice story. ha!

love to see these NBD basses --- i know it's exciting to get an instrument that a player can appreciate.

(note: hop on over to the "show your black basses" thread and post a pic of that one, too! i'd really like to see one as well.)

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There's something magical about an all white - or a white with mint pickguard (my personal favorite!) - Fender. Be it a guitar or a bass. They just look soooo right!

Congratulations on a great CL score. :thumbsup:

4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Beautiful instrument. I consider the price a steal, BTW.

5. Chato

Chato Commercial User

May 2, 2016
    very nice, HNBD.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    dude!

7. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

Congrats! lPcodIX.gif Great Arctic White, with the Maple.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    You should punish your son and withdraw him from the tennis team and make him go to another school. Maybe then you can be at peace with your very cool bass. ;)

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'd throw $300.00 at that. Might switch a few things on it but great score!

10. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    You need it to play weddings. Nice deal, enjoy.

11. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander

Visibility in the dark is the key justification. Now you need an International series in orange in case of fog

Nice score! Enjoy.

12. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Nice score! But it needs tort. (SOMEONE was gonna say it ;))

Neo1 likes this.
  13. I was waiting for that to come...

14. Are you sure you didn't sneak past your wife with the bass inside your son's racket case? :D

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021