1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD (about seven months late) - G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave64o, Oct 5, 2016.

1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I actually got this bass back in March and, although I liked it right away, I wasn't completely satisfied with it either. I gave the strings the previous owner had on it a month or two and then tried replacing them. I gave that second set about two months and they helped somewhat but still didn't quite do it for me. Then I tried my favorites (Lo Riders) and that made a big difference. Now I was getting somewhere, but it still took a few more months to actually get it out of my basement ....

After taking a many month break while one of the guys was traveling almost non-stop for work, we played for the first time in a long time last week and I got to use this bass at rehearsal for the first time. Finally, I got the "WOW!!!" I was hoping for and my satisfaction level suddenly went WAY up. In a band setting, this bass will definitely make itself heard but it seems like there's still plenty of adjustment to reign it in a little if you don't want it to completely take over.

That was only the first time I had it out, so I still want to give it some more time to really hear it in a band setting as well as to learn to quickly, and without having to think about it, adjust the tone before a song like I'm able to do with my other basses before calling it a "lifer". But I'm much more impressed with it now that I finally had the opportunity to play it outside of my basement.

Yes, I'm well aware of Basses Forum Rule #1 - "No pics, no bass!" - so here she is. Ain't she a beauty?! :D

%2Fq144%2Fdave64o%2FG%2520and%2520L%2520L-2500%2520in%2520cherryburst%2FIMG_1952_MOD_zpsdymssvif.png

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. I love that finish with matching headstock.
    Interesting that I don't see any dot inlays. Are they covered or just absent? I've never seen an L2500 without inlays, unless it was a special run or custom...

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Actually, that's not the original neck. If I remember the story correctly, the previous owner (@StuartV) sent it back to the factory because of a neck issue and, since they were going to replace the neck anyway, he specified a maple instead of original rosewood, added the matching head stock, and requested no markers or inlays, and this is the end result - which I think looks fantastic. It does have side markers, though.

It also has a factory-installed K-mod and I think Stu said he had them add that while they were replacing the neck.

I never really had a preference in the never ending maple vs. rosewood debate but, even though I've had lots of rosewoods and even two Pau Ferro's and an Ovengkol, this is my first maple.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    jd56hawk, Tbone76 and eastcoasteddie like this.
  4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yep. All correct.

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    L series is one of those basses that are a pain at home, but sound great in a mix. Enjoy!!

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  6. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Hey Stu, thanks for confirming that. I'm really enjoying it.

Yeah, seems like that was my experience.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The right strings are very important. The first thing I did with my G&L L-2000 is replace the strings with the proper ones. I'll be picking up my SB-2 next week and it gets the same treatment.

8. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Love that axe. Great pic.

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'm really glad to hear it. The first part of your review was making feel not so good. :-D

10. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Actually, it's kind of funny that all three of my main basses (this one, my Precision, and my favorite, the Stingray) underwhelmed me when I first got them, especially the Stingray. It took some time to learn how to get the sounds I wanted out of them and also to hear them in a band context for me to really appreciate them and, once I hit that point with them, my opinion changed pretty dramatically.

And, just because I still said the Stingray is my favorite, that doesn't take anything away from this one. The more I play it and get to know it, especially now that our band is playing again, the more I like it. If I had to say something negative, it feels the heaviest of those three, although after standing with it non-stop for about 2.5 hours at our last few rehearsals it hasn't bothered me.

11. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

I appreciate any review after a number of months rather then after day one!

My L2500 should be coming from RocketMusic soon I hope. I want to tame the beast!

Thanks,
    B.

audreycashin likes this.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Is that bass cool or what? Very much like the three L2500 that are currently my main axes. I'm looking over in the corner at my blue burst L2500 with matching headstock, K-mod and all the rest, Then looking at yours.... Yep, you got a winner fer sure!

The learning curve on a L2500 is sort of a long ramp up as many TBers will tell you. But once you arrive, you'll know what it's all about. And that goes for string choice too. For a long time I has factory strings on mine which were SIT. I liked the brightness, but somehow they just never did it for me. A few brands later and I'm still not there, but when I bought my third L2500 from a TBer he shipped it with nickel Dunlops. BINGO! There it was for me! G&L TBers generally are of the opinion that nickel strings work well on L2500. Well, whatever, but it does seem to take some trials until you find strings that really bring these basses to life.

13. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ha, I never noticed until now that mine has black knobs. I couldn't remember paying close enough attention to them before but chrome knobs were what I remembered. I just did a quick perusal of the last 10-12 pages of the G&L Club thread and they were all chrome knobbed.

Not good or bad, just .... how did I not notice before? :facepalm: Maybe it's because the honeymoon is over and, while I love her now more than ever, I'm now starting to notice more of her ..... quirks? :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021