NBD (actually, NBMonth) - Fender 60's Jazz Lacquer and 50's RW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Audix99, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Audix99

Audix99

Sep 18, 2009
    Kentucky
    Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post because I've been doing all reading but no posting.
    But since I have two new basses to report, well ---, here I am with the report of NBD for the 1st time in 2 years.

Last month, I decided to do a major overhaul in my gear. Sooo---
    Out:
    • One electric guitar (Epiphone 1960s Tribute Plus, which was as close to Gibson Les Paul as it can get without spending a fortune): I just don't play it much
    • One guitar amp (Marshall DLC 40C tube combo): Don't get much use becasue of the reason above
    • One 5-string active bass (2011 SR1205 Premium): Don't have much use of the 5th string anymore since pretty much all I play (mostly classic rock and hard rock) can be done by a 4-string bass.
    Once I sold them,
    First in:
    • A brand new (2017 serial) Fender Classic Series 60's Jazz in Lacquer finish (MIM), which totally blew my mind in terms of its tonal quality and build quality.
    • In fact, I was so impressed by it, I purchased one more MIM Fender, with remaining fund and then adding some more---,
    Second in (a little over 1 1/2 week later):
    A brand new (2017 serial) Fender Road Worn 50's Precision Bass (MIM).

Now, here's the NBD pic.
    20180302_122437_1.jpg

And with the entire family.
    20180302_122856.jpg

I feel good, getting back to the basics with 4-string passive basses.
    Fewer knobs (and one fewer string) to be occupied with so I can focus more on the playing the instrument. :bassist:
    Well, at least that's my justification for this overhaul... ;)

Oh did I tell you that the quality of these two MIM Fenders are quite impressive???
    YES they really are amazing, worthy of the hype/praises you see in the reviews by many.

Thanks for reading~!!!

2. I owned a Fender Road Worn 50's Precision Bass. Amazing Bass!!! Alas, I regret, I sold it for a new shiny bauble. You have inspired me to purchase another one. It was so easy to play and the sound boomed! I kick my butt all the time thinking of how stupid I was to be lured astray by my GAS. GAS is my enemy and I am resolved to never be blinded again. Great purchases. Have a blast playing them.

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    THAT is one BEEEE_U_TEE__FUL picture.......:hyper:

4. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    Honolulu
    Overhaul well done! Congrats!
    I just got two new MIM fenders and agree their quality is great. How you gonna string them all up?

Cool Bass likes this.
  5. Audix99

Audix99

Sep 18, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks MEKer.

TheGreatSealof, we all know that GAS is a fact of life and we can never get rid of it.
    Still, I think you will do yourself a great service if you can get your hands back on a 50's RW P bass.
    I am not crazy about its relic work, but it is a crazy good bass in terms of feel, playability and tone as you know and remember.

Maplenecked, I kept the stock Fender 7250 strings on the the Jazz since I was going to use roundwound nickel plated strings like D'Addario XL. I have no problem with the stock strings on the Jazz.
    But I replaced the stock strings on the Precision with 45 - 100 EB cobalt flatwound a few days ago.
    Normally I use Fender 9050 flatwounds, but thought of trying out EB cobalt flats and I like them so far.
    Typical punch of flatwounds, but with more top end.
    And the E string has more growl that I like.
    But like many reported, the strings are grippy, for now at least.

maplenecked likes this.
  6. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    P, Jay and Ric. The classic line up :D

7. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    All you need to complete your fab four = A Stingray :)

8. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    P, Jay, Ray and Ric :D

9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Awesome, Congrats!

10. Audix99

Audix99

Sep 18, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks Mark, MD Stingray and Crusher.

MD Stingray, BTW, I noticed that you are in Amsterdam.
    I will be spending a night in Amsterdam in May (one night of lay-over), on my way to fly back home from Croatia.
    I did the same last year in May, but it was a night when there was a football (soccer ;) ) match between Netherlands and UK and the entire city of Amsterdam was full of totally worked up football fans everywhere.
    Hopefully I will get to see more quiet, peaceful Amsterdam this time. :smug:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021