1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD (Again) aka I really need an intervention

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark W, May 6, 2019.

1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Well I had a doc appt this morning. Left there and for some reason I pulled into a pawn shop. I knew better. Someone please take my debit card from me. Anyway they had an Ampeg BA 115 tilt back combo that interested me. Then there was this snow white bass that just kept calling my name. So I picked it up and took it for a test run. The pick up balance and bass knobs were a little loose so I asked if they had an allen wrench set handy, they did, loose knobs fixed. They wanted 199, I said after my repair I'll give ya 150. They tried 160, then 155, I said nope, 150 and it goes out the door with me right now.

Not that I need another bass, much less another Ibanez, I already own a 2018 SR400EQM. And I've really been enjoying my '85 Epiphone P bass copy that I just got for $65 and then put new pups / electronics in, put on new strings, and installed a thumb rest. Actually going to gig with it tonight. But this Ibby is pretty sweet, 2 band EQ is easier to dial in than the 3 band EQ on my newer Ibby. Pickups are better, neck is a little thicker as well. And I like the thumb rests they built into the pick up frames. To be fair though I was plugged into a new Keeley Compressor I bought last week that I have yet to plug my other Ibby into because I've been playing the old, but now EMG equipped, Epiphone "P copy" for the last week.

At $150 is it a killer deal? I've seen them priced from 169 plus shipping up to 300 with free shipping. So no, it's not the $65 deal I bought the Epiphone for last week. But then I've had to put time and money into the Epiphone and now have $200 vested in it. Whereas this Ibby only needed some set screws tightened on two knobs and no more money invested in it. Don't even have to do any adjusting on the saddles or the neck.

Ibanez SRX2EX2 made in June of 2012 in the Cort Indonesia Factory.
    IMG_20190506_121925644. IMG_20190506_121932445. IMG_20190506_125817820. IMG_20190506_125843746. IMG_20190506_125731503.

bound'n'blocked and Robert Darby like this.
  2. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Well after seeing this SRX2EX2 on Ebay for 250, I'm even happier with mine for 150.
    Talk about someone over pricing a beat up guitar. Someone has beat that thing to death. Be sure to click on the link for all the pics. Missing the knobs, cracked headstock, chunk missing out of the side of the neck. How could someone in good conscious think they could even ask that much for it? I wouldn't buy it for 50 bucks.