1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD, Again, Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark W, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Well it has happened again... for the fourth time this year.

This time, $100 bucks for a Squire Jaguar.

The good...

Really great feeling neck, frets, and body. Bridge, tuners, and truss rod are all in great shape and working properly. The playability is superb and way beyond what I expected it to be. As far as playability goes it would easily compete with my 2018 Ibanez SR400 or 2012 Ibanez SRX2EX2. It does need a new set of flats over the worn out rounds on it now. The setup is fine. And I could gig it tonight if I wanted.

The bad...

The body has two good dings, one I would classify as a good size chip. The lower part of the body on the backside has some scratching / rash. But overall the bass is in pretty good shape.

Neck pup volume is either on or off, no inbetween. The bridge pup has a very low output and the neck pup over powers it. And the tone knob does not seem to affect the tone at all.

Now with all that said, it doesn't matter about the electronics because I bought it with the plan to throw in a EMG GZR P/J pup set and controls in it anyway before I ever saw it. All that mattered to me was cosmetics, neck, and hardware. And all of that passes with flying colors.

Ran the serial number on it and it is coming back as a Fender limited run out of the Cort Indonesia factory, whatever "limited" run means and manufactured in 2015.

overall.jpg body_front.jpg body_back.jpg neck.jpg ser_num_wiped.jpg headstock.jpg chip_1.jpg chip_2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Since you already plan on swapping pickups I'd say or a hundred bucks you're good! You might plan on gutting the electronics and wiring in a new set of quality pots while you're in there. Super cheap, instant upgrade not to mention it sounds like you might have a wiring issue already.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    EMG GZR pup sets come complete with a new set of pots, output jack, and wiring harness. :D

4. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Well there you go! Sounds like a good plan.

Clark W and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yeah man, you don't need any help. You done good :thumbsup:

Those finish scratches and dings mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Give it a good polish (you can get crazy and buff it out or just clean it really good) swap the guts, and rock it out :bassist:

Son of Wobble, tindrum and Clark W like this.
  6. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Easy peasy fix. Already done it with an EMG GZR P set to another bass.

P/J set is the same way, just a little more expensive, $179.
    They're even solderless.
    Everything you need but knobs.
    _EMG.jpg

Huw Phillips, tindrum and Reedt2000 like this.
  7. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I know, and the beauty of it, I don't have to worry about scratching it.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. Don’t you have to give that back to @two fingers ?

slapshot, Mktrat, five7 and 4 others like this.
  9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    ?????
    Give what back?
    And who is two fingers?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. @two fingers has a thread where he misplaced his Geezer pickup.

Sorry if the joke was unclear. :unsure:

AudioTaper, Clark W and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey

I lost my dang Geezer!!!!

Clark W likes this.
  12. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I figured you were joking about something. I just haven't figured it out yet. I can be a little slow at times.

I think I figured it out though, two finger discount?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Helix, Reedt2000 and Paradigm like this.
  13. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Hahaha, yeah I saw that yesterday, even commented on it. How do you lose a brand new set of pups? But in his defense I can't say a whole lot. I found a late 50s, early 60s Kay acoustic guitar and case in a closet in my house that I've lived in for 30 years. Don't have a clue how it got there or where it came from. I really have too much stuff

pappabass and Reedt2000 like this.
  14. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002

Dings = nothing. Play on without being concerned of another one.

Electronics = most likely very simple, and, at most, a new pot. Could be as simple as something touching that shouldn't be.

Clark W likes this.
  15. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Not worried about the electronics. Replacing all of that with EMG stuff anyway. Had already planned on it before I went to get the bass. Did it to another used bass I bought and was really happy with the result.

16. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    The ss jags were only released in 3 colors, black, red, silver, unless you bought the “Jaguar SS Bass Pack” which only came in the burst finish. Prolly much fewer of those packs were made than the others, that’s likely why it’s limited edition.

mikewalker and Clark W like this.
  17. Two fingers is the user name of one of our more active members. If you hang around here more than a day you’ll encounter him. He’s an opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it.

18. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I've been hanging for a year now. Even commented on his "Lost My Geezer" thread the other day. Just didn't put 2 & 2 together at first.

19. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    What did you need help with?

LoTone likes this.
  20. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Buying basses, it needs to stop. A year ago I had two, now I have 6.

Guzzi Toad and pappabass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020