1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - AGBV205

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Many of you are aware at this point that I really like hollowbody basses. I looked at this one for a couple of years and never bought one for a few reasons. Then, I played another short scale and kind of liked it. But... the 5 strings are discontinued best I can tell and very hard to find. I found one on GC, but someone literally bought it on line while I was trying to buy it on the phone. I was quite bummed.

Then, I decided the buy the normal finished AGB205 they had in California and it was on the way. It was listed as being in Great condition. It was not even close! When they took the nasty crusty strings off it, the bridge and tail piece were clearly broken. Nope... more bummage.

Then, I searched Friday morning and this one was returned on EBay. It is brand new, but a factory 2nd. The seller said it had a small finish imperfection that was hard to photograph. I would agree because I couldn’t see it at all. Determined to find it, I think I found a scuff near the heal of the neck. Oh, the horror!!

I played it tonight and liked it. I’m not a fan of the D’addarios that are installed, but I’m not a fan of the brand in general. On this one, the B is really quite strong and the tension is pretty good. I think it’s a .145. It’s OK, but I think some flats or tapes are in order.

Ok... enough typing...
    D1F297CF-B855-47ED-94DA-A6303BBC0FC2. 39DD8999-54DB-47B7-88DF-F98B0BFCD81F. 840DD9F2-5787-484F-B92D-3BE9D1E154AD. 3256E4BC-EB75-4570-B239-224412216D27. 6FD95F46-D0A5-4338-945E-E3471152C918. BD99DD9D-40F8-4F64-8EC1-5F03579B9619. A7EC26EA-1D75-4F5A-806A-015DB7B88DC0.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    On the other thread, you've mentioned of wanting to use your old TI flats on this bass... given the fact that this bass is a short scale (despite it accepts normal long scale strings due to the two piece bridge takes quite a few length) wouldn't they make the tensions less than ideal?

Sure Ibanez gave this bass 145-110-90-75-55 (XLB145 single and EXL230 4 string set) as factory strings to compensate the shorter scale.

3. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I feel like the tension is fairly normal, as opposed to my other short scale that clearly has less tension than comparable strings on long scale. I installed the light beatle bass flats on it and they are fairly loose for flats. So, I’m not sure what I want to do with the strings on this bass. It plays like a shortie, but I think it may string like a regular bass if that makes sense. Maybe @SLaPiNFuNK can come to my rescue. I need to order another set for the BTB too. Might as well kill 2 birds with one order.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    yeah, the tensions are meant to be normal despite the sizes seem quite hefty due to used on shorter scale.

BassJuju likes this.
  5. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Is that what a roadworn natural finish bass looks like? I sure I can see holes and cracks in the veneer.

6. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    It is certainly a road worn finish, they refer to it as “vintage” and there aren’t any cracks in the finish. At least not what I would call cracks. There are lots of manufactured dings and such. The hardware is also more pewter like instead of bright shiny chrome. The corners of the headstock and other spots are lightly sanded to have that worn look.

I didn’t buy it because it was pre-worn, but I do rather like it.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It looks to me like more of a rustic wormwood finish. I've never seen a vintage guitar or bass with that look before.

mikewalker likes this.
  8. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Wormwood... hmmm... I can see that. It certainly looks like it's been we'll loved. It may be the first bass that doesn't get strap locks as the pewter buttons look so good with the rest of the finish. Maybe I could tumble and then lacquer some Schaller's? o_O

9. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I have the matching guitar and love it!

BassJuju likes this.
  10. The "distressed" look is understated and classy. I'm not usually a fan of "relic'ed" instruments, but this looks real good to me!

BassJuju likes this.
  11. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    I’ve never owned a hollow body bass but this model by Ibanez.. I really like the look and would love to own one.

12. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I like these basses in pictures. I love them up close and live. When you're holding them, they just look so damn good. Photos never seem to do them justice. Happy for you that you found one that you like.

13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Been jonesin' for one of those since they were released. Love that look.

14. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Clearly they are getting hard to find but they are worth it. Hope you can find one that works for you.

15. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Thanks... it does look better in person. Plays nice too. I’m kind of waffling on strings. I think I want flats, but can’t decide.

16. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Typically I don’t want it on every song, but the ones that beg for it sound so much better.

HarveyRobertson likes this.
  17. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    There were some old posts discussing either the AGB205 or the AGBV205 on the subject of flatwound strings for that bass. Main constraint was there were no flatwound strings which had the same heavy gauges as the stock roundwound 145-110-90-75-55 strings. The heaviest flatwound found for the low B was only .132 Chromes.

IIRC, he went with that .132 and live happily ever after...

18. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I think I read those posts and even exchanged a PM with one guy who said he’d made a recording. That was a couple years ago and I think the recording is gone. Still, if the used the larger gauge to increase the tension, a lighter gauge flat should be equivalent. I’m still thinking. I dislike trying to make this decision, but I do it for almost every bass.

19. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    That thing is amazing.
    Is there an S stamped on the back of the headstock?

20. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yes... and no serial# I still can’t find anything wrong with it.