1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Alembic Epic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by banikek, Oct 19, 2013.

1. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Alembic is not normally a bass I think about when I am looking for a used bass, but a recent trend has me thining out my collection (reduce the quantity, improve the quality). Found this bass at a local store and could not put it down. I am normally a P-bass w/ flats kind of guy but this thing is really versatile and I even like the round wounds on it. The neck feels very familiar - very Fender-ish. The balance and feel is great. I have tried to like Jazz basses but never really dug the neck or tone. I guess this one will have to be my "jazz bass"!

Here are the required pics:

Picture096_zps69204151.

Picture097_zpseda30982.

Picture098_zps056bcae6.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Nice! There is one of these on CL locally, was wondering about the sound and feel (tried one years ago, don't recall enough about it). I'm also a passive Fender guy fwiw.

3. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Very nice. You've got your J there, plus a lot more. FYI, if you want to clean the brass up to a brilliant shine, Flitz polish (in many supermarkets and almost all Ace Hardwares), used sparingly, will do that in a minute or two.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Great basses. I own three. Two 5 string and a 4. The clarity is amazing.

5. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Very pretty bass - congrats!

6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSukfm1W9pKiTBtHfcbT8vpVP93uT_WhM-CKd0UurqLQYw1TQCzDz3-3pgROQ.

7. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I love them,only played a few in stores,maybe one day i'll get one. Congrats!

8. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Hope you do. Alembics might or might not be your cup of tea, but I doubt find owning one was a bad experience.
    They aren't cheap (even though used, they sell for very deep discounts), but unlike so many other manufacturers, every lower end Alembic is built with the same craftmanship, baseline proprietary design features and the same high quality components as every high end Alembic. I love Skyline Laklands, but there are no Skyline Alembics (or MIMs). There are lots of "boutique" bass makers out there. Many of them deliver excellent quality products. I can only speak for Alembics - I've never found more consistent, high end quality throughout a widely priced line of instruments. Also, as I discovered with my first (very used) Alembic, the Alembic folks treat every Alembic owner fairly and generously (yes, like a family member), regardless whether they are holding a used or high or low end Alembic instrument. I know other luthiers have the highest integrity and concern for their customers and their instruments, but I can definitely say that if more manufacturers stood behind their product and player experience as well as Alembic, we'd all be much happier bass players.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Alembic: the very first boutique bass builder, and still one of the very best (THE best IMO).

Rarely equaled; never surpassed... :cool:

MM

10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I've owned two, played a bunch.
    Owning an Alembic was something I wanted to do since I first saw one as a teenager down at Ye Olde Music Shoppe in Marissa, IL.
    The company also has a fascinating history.

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Grats! Those are beautiful basses.

12. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Congratulations! You are now in bass heaven.

13. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    congrats, I lust after Alembic's

14. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Congrats!

15. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    The closest i came to actually owning an Alembic was a Turner Model 1 bass,which was a fantastic,well made instrument. Out of all the Alembics i've looked at over the years,i really love the feel of the Epic,plus i really have a weak spot for set-neck basses. I am happiest with my RIC basses,but i could definitely see an Epic in my stable someday.