NBD: Alien Audio Constellation 5 string!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Oct 18, 2017.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The FedEX guy dropped off possibly the best bass I've ever played - my custom Alien Audio Constellation 5 string in matte cherry burst, black hipshot hardware, swamp ash body, maple / rosewood neck, matte black headstock. Double P Nordstrand pickups and the incredible BP2-FX Preamp. Weighs in at a super comfy 8 lbs 1oz. I have some D-Cline design custom knobs on order - ebony, white indicator lines that glow red.

Here's a review of the preview I did a few years ago: Alien Audio basses

Enough words, pic time...

fullsizeoutput_1332.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1344.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1347.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1349.jpeg fullsizeoutput_134b.jpeg dg7SwqB+RbK6Mt0H6r%Gyw.jpg fullsizeoutput_1353.jpeg

2. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    (Ignore the dust in the photos. I should have hit it with some compressed air before photographing.)

3. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Rehearsal report from last night - the bass sounds great. Very easy to go from a classic P bass sound to a more modern sound. The EQ is voiced just right. Totally in love.

4. shawn1288

shawn1288

Apr 20, 2013
    Dude that is one awesome bass!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is one awesome looking bass! If I had ordered it, I would have had both pickups reversed, but I am sure it sounds wonderful the way it is.

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    New bass. Excuse me while I lay it down on rough, damp bricks.....

I'm kidding! Congrats. That's a beaut.

RichSnyder likes this.
  7. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I was very, very careful.

8. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I like the classic P sound and the bridge works better this way because you get thicker tones on the higher strings. I do add a little bass when using the bridge pickup. It sounds a lot like a Stingray with a more mellow high end.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is interesting. The early Stingrays had a split pickup in the sweet spot that I think was reversed. Maybe someone will post that image.

10. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Was that the yellow one? I remember the picture, but never paid attention to the placement. Just assumed it was P bass placement.

11. chobass

chobass Inactive

Jan 22, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    7BDC360C-0792-4FB5-A9EA-D781751F7F70.jpg
    How about mine?
    It has a roasted maple neck and amazon rosewood.
    Also spalted maple top!

Attached Files:

RichSnyder likes this.
  12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Congrats, to OP. I have had my eye on one of these for a long time. Just own too many great basses to add another (now).

Listen to how this bass records... I am in love.

groovin_bassman and songwriter21 like this.
  13. B-line

B-line Inactive

What a great track; Taylor Swift had no idea she wrote such funky tunes!
    Great players & vocals. they are smokin'

Not clear... Is that you playing bass?

14. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV

Imho, the biggest kept secret about P pups. They sound M-I-L-E-S BETTER when they're installed reversed.

groovin_bassman and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Wow! You got a bass that matches your avatar! Great find! How wide is the neck?

16. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    It's 18mm spacing at the bridge and the nut is .. getting a ruler ... 1 3/4". You can ask for a chunkier neck or a thinner profile. Was just playing the bass as I'm reading this (took the day off). It's really nice. The thing is with an Alien Audio bass, ignore the looks and feel (which are great), but if you're blindfolded and you're left focusing on the preamp - don't be afraid to turn the knobs. It's an incredibly musical, well-voiced preamp that's been through a ton of design between Chopper and the late Mo West. With a lot of basses and players, they tend to keep the knobs in the middle. I'm guilty of that too. But with the Alien Audio, when you start spinning the knobs you find a ton of tones. (Tonne of tones for our UK friends.) Even at an extreme - full boost on bass, full cut on treble and mid, OD engaged - it sounds good. A lot like a vintage Cream tone. I'm super happy with this bass. The next one is in the planning stages - not that I really need it, this one is versatile as hell, but thinking of one with flats. Chopper is great to work with too. Did I say that I love this bass? If I were famous or something, I'd be a proud endorser.

wintremute likes this.
  17. Clecoguy

Clecoguy

Apr 24, 2014
    That is Gary Lunn playing with The Smoking Section.

18. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    What do these basses go for ballpark $? I am thinking maybe I sell a something and make room.

19. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Depends on options and string count. Generally around $2500.

20. Gorgeous! Lots of knobs...I like that in a bass, even though I hardly ever use them!