1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Alvarez RB30SC (and a positive GC experience too!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mktrat, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I have been casually looking for an acoustic bass for the last 6 months or so. Something always felt off about each one I looked at whether it was color, condition, location, or price. Just generally bad vibes, until yesterday.

I was on GuitarCenter.com looking for some strings and decided to check used acoustic basses. This Alvarez pops up about a 45 minute drive from home. This one felt right. Price dropped too! :hyper:

After replacing the dead battery and testing it out a very friendly GC employee (who said right off the bat he is a pro-audio guy and doesn't know much about the bass, but was very helpful anyway) went to look for the case in the back. He came back with an original semi hard fitted case that was in pristine condition! I think he was just as excited as I was about the deal. The original plastic thing was still in the latch lock and the shoulder straps have never even been opened. He even joked that they weren't charging enough.

160160157082-1.
    (not my pic just found it on google, same case though)

Anyway, got it home, and it is currently playing nice with the others. I'm loving it!!

Big shout out to the Allen Park, MI Guitar Center. You have a very satisfied customer. :bassist:

I do need some help with string choices though......the (old) strings on it are reacting with my fingers. Maybe something coated? Thoughts?

I'll try and get an actual shot of her with her siblings soon......too much traffic on the way home.:D

monsterthompson and Duder like this.
  2. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Congrats! Going "unplugged" is always fun.

3. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats! I just picked up an AEB as well, really enjoy it so far

4. Mktrat

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    It's only been a couple days, but this new addition is working out great.
    Finding myself in an apartment for the first time, and having to control my volume much more, this is a perfect solution for me. Now to find a five stringer......

5. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i have always appreciated alavarez acoustics as great budget instruments. you found a beauty!

I would recommend labella deep talkin bass black nylon wound strings. they make an acoustic instrument so much better, take out that horrible tingy zingy tone in an acoustic bass. and they feel great and last a really really really long time.

if you just want to go unplugged entirely, the dean 5 string AEB is a solid instrument. good volume, huge body. terrible electronics. too quiet and too little control on them. it's great for living room performances with the kiddos boppin' around.

6. Mktrat

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten

Thanks scuzzy.

Baby girl approves....
    E727C95A-01FB-4711-A942-B1B2AEEFC46F_zpslugzbvrg.

Regarding the Labella's, do you still get similar volume unplugged?
    BTW I love my Gold White Tapes on my Warwick.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Mechanical likes this.
  7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    it is a little quieter than the bronze acoustic strings, but the portion of the sound that is louder with the bronze strings is the most unpleasant tone of the strings (imo), so I prefer it gone all together. The nylons have a louder fundamental to my ears, and all around sound much much better. i can keep up with my wife's taylor, though she uses light picks and strums relatively lightly.

8. Mktrat

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Looks like an email to BSO is in my near future!!

9. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I've played ABGs only for about 20 years. Tapewounds are the answer. Rotosounds are great, Labellas are great.