1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: American Hand Rubbed Ash Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ransombass, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Ok, here goes. I have never seen a Fender P-Bass like this before and I can't find any evidence of their existence online. Makes me wonder if it's a limited run of some sort. It's a 2012 American made P-Bass with maple neck and fretboard and an natural colored hand rubbed finish ash body. It resembles George Porter Jr's old Fender except with a black pick guard and less wear (of course). The wood grain is spectacular and the sound is freakin' amazing! It's tone is like a good, old P-Bass and it's really light. I'll have some pics later tonight. :hyper:

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    NO PICS = NO NBD

3. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I know, I know...I'll get them up ASAP!:D

4. You're correct, it's a Fender FSR (Factory Sepcial Run) model that was release fairly recently. They release limited models with special options every once in a while, usually for a specific vendor (Guitar Center, Musicians' Friend).

5. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Cool, thanks! I'm pretty stoked. I'm picking it up from GC after work tonight and then straight to the studio to record a demo.

6. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Yes, except the one I got is a natural ash color not stained. I love the fact that it doesn't have the thick, glossy finish.

Thanks for digging that up!:)

7. Oh MY. Might need to build(assemble, I mean ;))something like that- as close to *mocha/root beer brown* w/a tortoiseshell PG & maple, J-width neck... creme-colored DiMarzio PJ PU's(I actually have a set), d-tuner...

Sorry, got inspired/carried away; watching for pics, derail over.
    :D

8. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    That sounds cool.

9. I'm a big fan of the hand-rubbed ash!:smug:

10. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Yeah, I'm pretty much a fan of anything hand-rubbed.

Did I say that out loud??? :D

11. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Sort of like this?

fender%2520100.

That's my '75 and I admit, George Porter Jr's fabulous-looking old Fender was the main inspiration for adding the tort pickguard. Can't wait to see pics of your new bass!

12. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    That's it! I'm debating about whether or not to put a tort guard on it. King George is my hero, so it would be a tribute to him.

I get to see the Funky Meters is two weeks at the Telluride Jazz Festival. I can't wait!

13. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Here ya go! Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, but it's all I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Three Brides...

[​IMG]

I played it in the studio last night on my band's demo through a SansAmp BDDI. WOW! What an awesome low mid growl. I love it. It's very light and resonant and the natural, un-lacquered wood feels awesome. I think this one is gonna be around for a while.

14. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I'm thinkin' about putting a tort guard on this bass. What do you folks think?

15. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Tort would look pretty sweet on that natural

16. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I think so too. It will give it a George Porter Jr look and that's fine with me, but the there's also something blue collar looking about the black and I like that as well. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

17. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    This is interesting. Earlier this year Fender produced a FSR (limited edition) run of P and Jazz basses with hand rubbed ash bodies in two colors; mahogany with a maple neck/board and wine with a rosewood board. They were limited to 150 in each model and color.

Does the neck plate on the back have "Special Edition" printed on it?

Now you have a natural finish (which looks killer by the way!) and earlier this week I read a post by another TB'er reporting a wine finished P with a maple board...not a combo available in the original run.

I wonder if the first run was successful enough that Fender did another?

BTW, I agree with your assessment of the tone on these basses.....great tone and light. Mine is somewhere between 8 and 8 1/2 pounds. Can't resist, pics:

IMGP7287.

IMGP7291.

18. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Thanks LuvMusic! The neck plate on mine says "Limited Edition". I'll post a pic of it tonight.

I'm really diggin' the FSR stuff lately. The Mocha and Wine P-basses really got my GAS goin' so when I saw this I jumped on it.

Looks like Fender has decided to jump back into the fight with some high quality, affordable American made instruments.

19. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    It's a beautiful bass, congrats! In comparison, my '75 is quite heavy at 11,5 lbs, but it has the tone with that really nice growl when I dig in a bit and huge sustain, especially in the lowest range. On my bass the body looks like the finish has been stripped to the clear primer: the seller said it has originally been Olympic White, but I doubt it because when I took off the original pickguard there was no white paint whatsoever in the control cavity or in the pickup routes, just clear lacquer.