1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD American Standard Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geesharp, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:53 PM.

1. My actual plan was to replace the pickups on my 1989 Precision Bass Plus, but then I convinced myself that I'd be better off getting a new bass guitar than a new pickups:D

I did some research and looked around for Fender jazz bass. I was surprised that the American Standard jazz bass couldn't be found anywhere. I called around and only one store has it. The sales guy told me that there's one displayed in their showroom. He also told me that American standard jazz bass line is discontinued and the Professional line is replacing it.

I went to the store later yesterday, and there it was, a Fender American Standard jazz bass in sunburst. It's a new 2013 jazz bass. I think it's what they call NOS...new old stock.

I tried it, checked it and I like it. So I went home with it Here it is:

20181206_195429. 20181206_210052.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:41 PM
  2. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Very nice!!

geesharp likes this.
  3. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    My favorite. Congrats

geesharp likes this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I don't believe you actually bought it. Sticker's still on.

5. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Congrats!

geesharp likes this.
  6. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    897C4BEC-D5BE-431D-82A9-077A7BE6DED3. Got a similar deal a couple of weeks ago.
    Brand new 2011 American standard Jazz, even though it was new and unplayed they did for 50% off because it is 7 years old.
    Love your Sunburst by the way.

evlwevl, bobba66, BuckN4k3d and 5 others like this.
  7. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    That is sweet! I LOVE the 3TSB + Rosewood neck combo! Sweet bass!

murphy likes this.
  8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Those are all great basses. IMO the American standard jazz bass of this era is a classic (no bias due to owning one ;)

Crazy that a store would keep stock around for 7 years. Think of the interest they paid on the money to stock that bass.

geesharp and wizard65 like this.
  9. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I was in a similar boat — always (well, for many years) wanted an American Standard P and J, then when I finally went to buy them, they’d been discontinued for a new "better" model with a price bump! WTH? So, I went and found me a recent American Standard of each (2013 Jazz, 2015 Precision).

I pretty much love the J, but I’ll pobably be trying a pickup swap on the P as I actually like the sound of my old MIM P more. I find the 2013 Jazz’s pickups, on the other hand, to nicely emphasize the distinctive "Jazz Bass" nature of that bass (in other words, when you hear it, it just clearly sounds like a Jazz, not like some generic bass).

Congrats on your new Am. Standard J!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:19 AM
    geesharp and BassmanM like this.
  10. I plan to leave it there, not gonna peel it... oh, and the plastic covers on the tuning knobs too, I will leave them there:D

dmt and saabfender like this.
  11. That's a beautiful jazz bass.

One music store that I went to, had a white American Standard jazz bass, just like yours. I was really excited when I saw it in the display case, and I told the sales person that I want to buy it.

He said:" I'm sorry sir, it's been sold yesterday, we forgot to take it out of the case." Then he took it out of the display case.

wizard65 likes this.
  12. That a p plus I see there ?

geesharp likes this.
  13. Yes it is, it's a 1989 P Plus that I bought it in 1992.

JtSD619 likes this.
  14. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Does the 2013 have the CS60 pickups in it? I think it does. Nice!

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:D

you did good! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

16. That’s freakin sweet

17. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Nice bass! I have a 2014 or 15 in 5 string. Same exact setup. I love it.

18. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Very nice!! Hope you have many great years of music together.

19. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    8E949261-019F-44B0-9986-D8BEE2314856. I like this era of Fenders - so much I just acquired a 2014 P as a backup to my 2013 P. I like the darker finish on the burst plus the graphite supports and solid hardware. I don’t know what a NOS would go for, but the used market is around $800 for a really clean instrument. Now I need a pair of J basses - yeah right - ok maybe just one ...

20. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I love the american standard line of basses between 2008 and 2013. Not saying the later ones are bad I just haven't played any, but played a bunch of the ones described. Very nice basses. I have a 2009 jazz bass in sunburst with a maple neck that my parents got me when I got into college, and last year picked up a 2013 p bass in bright blue with a rosewood neck. A way to pay homage to my first baby blue squire p bass. Same color and everything, just better quality.

I've even considered selling my 5 string sadowsky for an american standard 5 string jazz. Never played one though.