NBD: An original Ibanez Affirma AFR 105 from the 90s! A dream come true!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEndLobster, Apr 11, 2020.

1. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    loNJABN.png

The one on the right just arrived today. I've had the reissue for a few months and absolutely love it, but have always wanted one of the originals. Had my chance and I took it. Very glad I did! I've always wanted one of these since I started playing bass in 2002ish. Going to do a 3 part video series reviewing each of the affirmas- AFR105, EDA905 (en route), and my AFR5WAP reissue. This is going to be fun!

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm definitely curious how the 90's model compares to the re-issues, or vice-versa. I played with the 90's ones when they were new and was impressed, but it's been a while, and I've never tried the re-issues...

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    I'm going to be doing in depth reviews of all three affirmas (AFR105, Ergodyne EDA905, and the AFR5WAP reissue) which will have plenty of playing and tone comparisons. Subscribe to my channel if you're not already :). I just posted my latest video with a quick demo and overview of the AFR105 (I got it a week ago, still exploring it).

IMO, I think the reissues might be better overall. You're looking at about 30 years of learning and development from Ibanez separating the reissue with the original. The control layout of the reissue is MUCH better IMO. I appreciate the dual volumes (one for the bart, one for the piezo) vs a pan. I feel I have a bit more precision with dual volumes. Also, the dedicated mid for the piezo is very nice to have. In my AFR105 demo on my newest video, you'll see that the piezo is a bit bright (I still have to fiddle with the switches a bit and restring this thing), and the two band preamp that covers both pickups doesn't give you the control you need IMO. That being said, the original doesn't sound bad by any means. I just think overall, the reissue has some nice improvements over the original that make it easier to live with.

.... review ruined :p

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Thanks! I can see where there might have been some improvements to the electronics over the last 20+ years! But I remember the overall build quality being exceptional, and it would be great if the new reissues lived up to that standard...

LowEndLobster likes this.
  5. moley6knipe

moley6knipe

Dec 18, 2018
    Looking forward to the review. Love a good Ibby. Kudos to them for always making interesting basses!

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Just viewed the Review. Thanks ;).

I preferred the sound of the vintage AFR105. It seemed better balanced and bit sweeter to my ears.

I totally agree the AFRs are awesome basses, but not for everyone. They don't do meat and potatoes, and they are not very versatile...yet somehow they are still freakin' awesome!

I never actually bought one, but whenever I toured to OK City I used to pop into a music store that had one. That was over 20 years ago and I still think about that AFR105.

The bass seemed especially well suited for tap. Not that that I really have any significant skills with this technique, but there is reason for that. All of my basses feel super dead and unresponsive whenever I try and tap on them...so there is not joy to inspire me to play tap.

When I tried tapping on the AFR the notes seemed to jump out of it. Also the notes were very even across the range of the instrument, so you could tap low notes and high notes and they all spoke clearly and sounded great. If I had bought that bass, I would probably be a tap monster by now. It's almost like the AFR105 was made specifically for tap. Maybe it's a good thing, I let it go :woot:;). Still :drool:.

7. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    That is an incredible looking bass! The figuring is just amazing, it goes so well with the lines of that bass I think it'd be hard to find a better looking axe. Real Beauty Congratulations great score! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    LowEndLobster, BeefPie84 and Wasnex like this.
  8. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    I was thunderstruck that Ibanez decided to re-issue these rare birds, and I'm still trying to decide of the option of them in a white-wood version is enough of an offset of them not re-issuing them in koa.

Ibanez is light years ahead of anyone else in the width, depth, and breadth of basses in all styles, and we're all the better off for it. Utterly amazing that they've done this WITHOUT any obvious Fender clones and established their own design language where you can usually look at it and it says 'Ibanez'.

My hat's off to them, big time.

C Stone, LowEndLobster and Wasnex like this.
  9. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Inactive

Mar 29, 2019
    Banland
    Yeah, I agree, absolutely gorgeous body style.

C Stone and LowEndLobster like this.
  10. Nice Affirmas. I've always wanted to play one but have never seen one in person. Love the look and have heard good things about them.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The wood on the one on the right is gorgeous.

C Stone and LowEndLobster like this.
  12. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Inactive

Mar 29, 2019
    Banland
    But what is that redissh burst bass on the wall tho?? Holy cow. Gorgeous color, grain. :drool:

13. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That's a Conklin.

14. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    It may be an optical illusion because of the angle of the bass on the right, but are the bridge saddles straight across on the one on the right, as opposed to ascending like the model on the left?

15. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Optical illusion

Eon Sky likes this.