1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD and a Pile of Cash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by droo46, Aug 15, 2012.

1. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Today I join the proud ranks of those who own a CV Squier. I've been eyeing this one for a while and today I pulled the trigger on it.

34ca0280.

In order to maintain a reasonable number a basses, I figured I would sell one that I haven't been playing. It's an SR305 that I purchased in 2007.

1fd79273.

It was an experiment in 5 strings and while I liked it, I was playing my other basses more, namely this one: an SR400

aebcf13a.

and this one: an ATK300

After a few flakes on Craigslist, I finally got a buyer. When he finished playing it and decided that he wanted it, he pulled this mess out of his pocket.

dffa2de0.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, that is $175 consisting of 2 20's, 2 10's, 2 5's, and 105 1's. Good grief... However, this is only a minor annoyance because I sold an old bass to a person who will play the hell out of it and I got a new bass to play the hell out of. All in all, it's been a pretty good day. Thanks for reading my silly story.

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It is always nice when things work out and everyone is happy!! They are all great basses.

I love that P - my friend had one just like it in his store, and I was going to make him an offer on it and last time I went in it was gone. Dang!

3. aRandomAggie

aRandomAggie

Apr 5, 2011
    Houston
    Congrats on the new bass! That's stack of singles made me laugh...I once had a CL deal where the guy paid me $900 cash for a bass, and over $300 of it was $1 bills.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    [​IMG]

5. Habilis

Habilis

Jan 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Was the guy a male stripper, or did he work at an arcade?

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    That many ones & Id have them go to bank and trade them in for either a 100 bill,. two fifties or at least 20's. No reason for someone to try to pay that amount with single ones. Id be highly suspicious and thus require them go to bank and change em.

7. Go to a strip club or buy a bass?

8. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    That CV SQUIER is SWEET!

9. I'll tell you what: if you were in Canada, putting that many ones in your pocket would make your pants fall down.

10. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Why be suspicious? People don't counterfeit singles. Maybe he was a bartender or waiter and put all his tip money aside for a bass. Who knows? Paying for a bass with all those singles is definitely pretty funny, but nothing to get paranoid about.

11. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I lived in Canada for a while and that is hilarious.

12. Probably a good thing that you didnt get pulled over by the police with all of those bills. I've watched enough episodes of "Cops" to know that they might have thought you were a drug dealer with all of those ones and tens!

BTW, nice new bass!

BnB

13. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy

Sep 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Happy New Bass Day!!!!

14. Loonies !

15. Looks like the buyer was saving his money for a while to buy a bass.

16. This made me do a spit-take with my coffee when I read it. Awesome, and very true!

Long live the loonie!

17. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    OP, very nice bass!

On the cash...you guys know nothing of the drug or counterfeiting industry if $100 in $1 bills makes you pee your pants. Buyer was a bartender or waiter, guaranteed.

Now the last house I rented, when the landlord told me the previous tennants insisted on paying the $1200 monthly rent in person in $20 bills, and we moved in and found gardening supplies in the basement (urban neighborhood, no gardens!) and dirt ground into the attic carpets... yeah, those guys were drug dealers.

Not trying to be a d*ck, I just don't know why legally possessing more than $50 at one time makes you a suspected criminal. Before everyone had credit/debit cards it was normal to carry cash. I only mention this because with this line of paranoid thought we'll get to a point where the DEA is flagging and tracking any ATM withdrawal over $100 (which I'm sure they'd do if they were given the chance)

18. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks!

I'm kind of sad that several people here are making such a big deal over the cash. It's not really a problem. I was merely amused by the sight of that many dollar bills.

19. Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I was making a joke. It never occurred to me that ANYONE would take what I typed seriously.

I'll make sure to indicate it's a joke next time.

BnB

20. Yeah, I was just being a smarta-- actually, what I said was total truth.