1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD and Amp: I Can Only Play the Blues in a Minor Key

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Williethump, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    yam_rol_1.

My Yamaha RBX-170EW (exotic wood) 4-string electric bass is a joy to look at and to play. $109, used at Guitar Center. Pro setup with GHS Boomer Roundwounds.
    yam-ghsboom-cbl-thmbpic.
    yam_rol_pol.

It helps to play a beautiful instrument; you’ll play more if it sounds as good as well.
    yam_rol_4.
    Straight smooth maple neck, mango wood top veneer, dual pickups so It’s very versatile.
    yam_rol_nk-bk.

I run it through my lightweight battery/AC Roland Microcube Rx bass amp, which can emulate the sound of just about anything I choose. The variety boosts a practice session.
    yam_rol_3.
    Dial it super clean and hear how really bad my fingering is, or funk it up with high gain, reverb, flanging, delay, t-wah, and any drum background rhythm I choose…and sound like a bass god? In my own room/mind.

Which do you think I choose most practice sessions?
    yam_rol_2.

After about a year of book larnin’ with Hal Leonard’s Bass Fast Track TAB textbook, and daily practice/noodling, I stumbled on that divine minor scale finger box pattern-and some blues patterns.
    dsc06178.

dsc06173.
    Heaven. This IS what I signed up for.
    yam_rol_bak.

Not so much joy on stretching my arthritic old phalanges to fit the procrustean bed of that darn major scale.
    yam_rol_strp-kpr.

Still in all, I’m encouraged. Helps to sport a pretty ax and a high tech, portable amp, my bass brethren and sisteren.
    vert.

Yea, I am obsessed and play all day. Is it further wrecking my marriage? God only knows, sang the Beach Boys.

But I can only play the blues in a minor key. So far.
    lst.

Maybe I’ll be happier when I learn the major scale. It won’t be long. I’m encouraged.

metermech, dabbler and Stumbo like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    No reason to have the blues with that rig! Cool.:thumbsup:

Try g minor.

It's a minor problem.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    a very cool looking bass with the PJ goods for a Franklin, ya done good!
    I'm a fan for the MC-RX as well, tho currently I'm running thru the guitar version which gives up some Mountain style grind and gritty boom of an Ampeg-ish fridge without getting all the neighbors totally enraged.