1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD and cold weather

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaycat, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Jaycat

Jaycat

Sep 8, 2018
    Hey, so I pulled the trigger on a Les Paul Jr Tribute bass. It's supposed to arrive Saturday. The forecast is for a tropical 28 degrees. It's coming UPS from Missouri, the temp there is a whopping 6 degrees at this moment.

I have experience with receiving acoustic instruments in the winter, the wisdom is to let them sit for at least 12 hours in the box, then 12 hours in the case, then let 'er rip. What say you as regards a solid-body bass? How long til I can open up the box?

Thanks!

scottm and thisheregiraffe like this.
  2. If it were me, I'd be opening the box the moment I got it in the door :roflmao: But I am curious to see what people with more expert opinions have to say about your question.

smtp4me, timmo97, aarjamson and 5 others like this.
  3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Annotation 2020-02-13 092152.png

This topic has been covered extensively on Talkbass....

StayLow, digmeout, lermgalieu and 2 others like this.
  4. If you open the box and the bass implodes, just return it.

Any quality instrument should be able to handle temperature extremes, short of sub-arctic ~50 below zero stuff~ temps., with no problem.

That is much of what tuning keys, truss rods and adjustable bridges are designed for. ;)

What, are you never going to play an gig outside in the blazing summer heat, or in a freezing warehouse, basement or club?

Its just a tool, a lovely one, but a tool nonetheless.

Dr. Cheese, shadven and scottm like this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    My lunch defrosts in much less time than that.

I think you'd be good in an hour.

A bunch of years back I got a Stingray on a freezing day. I opened right up. It hazed over. I got scared. I shut the case. I opened it again about 20 minutes later. The bass fine. Cold still.... but fine.

Dr. Cheese, Element Zero, MCF and 2 others like this.
  6. vid1900

vid1900

Dec 12, 2019
    Bass with lacquer finishes often have a sticker warning you to leave it in the unopened box for 24 hours if shipped in cold weather.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If temperatures are extremely cold outside, I would open the top of the box and let it sit for an hour or two. I would probably guess there wouldn't be a problem for your typical solid body bass as you would encounter with an acoustic instrument or a vintage bass with a delicate finish, and this would be playing it safe.
    HOWEVER I have reason to be a little paranoid. Some years ago, we had a polar vortex, extremely cold weather outside, and my Amazon purchase, an el cheapo $100 Stingray clone arrived.
    I didn't think about it, opened the box, and while the bass was still encased in that thin Styrofoam wrapping...I heard something cracking inside! The sound of walking on thin ice. After removing the wrapping, I inspected the bass and sure enough there was what looked like a bubble on the finish on the back of the bass where the finish separated from the body of the bass, and that had cracked. You could literally peel the finish away from the bass from that spot. Now I don't know if the finish was flawed to begin with, and made it that much more vulnerable to damage from extreme cold temperature, I can't really say, but let's just say, terrible finish on a cheap bass plus polar vortex temperature is not a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Garret Graves likes this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    An hour or two is enough for a solid body, imho. Longer adjustment times would be appropriate for fragile hollow acoustic instruments.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

As somebody who lives in an actually cold environment (;) :D), I can tell that is a lot of hog wash. We're talking about a poly finished, solid body, instrument here. There will be no issues to open the case freezing. It is nitro instruments that have checking issues. Even then, you bring the box inside to warm up, maybe an hour if you're paranoid. Then you pull the case, give it some time with the room, crack the latches, wait another 15-20 minutes, and then you are good to go. The whole process takes maybe 1-2 hours, tops. And that is coming in from -30-40.

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Oh dang, you do live in a friggin' cold place! lol You win.

roccobass and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  11. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    This...exact what I did yesterday!

DiabolusInMusic and funkinbottom like this.
  12. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    I'm the same way. Package arrives, it gets opened now.

Dr. Cheese and thisheregiraffe like this.
  13. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    waiting is highly overrated

14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I've bought several guitars and basses in the winter and never waited to open the box. IMO, a guitar or a bass that cannot survive such a transition is not worth keeping.

thisheregiraffe likes this.
  15. vid1900

vid1900

Dec 12, 2019
    Leo says:

IMG_20180329_121659962.jpg

Koog and Guzzi Toad like this.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve got an MIM j that lived in a gig bag in an uninsulated van and came out for temp extremes or gut bucket clubs. In over a year of that it never once failed to work. Set in a stand on stage for 20~30 minutes then tune it up and go.

Spidey2112 and Indiana Mike like this.
  17. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
  18. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Here are a couple posts I made to another thread some time ago:

Jaycat likes this.
  19. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I had an 08 AmStd P5 delivered 7 years ago (almost to the day). It was so cold then, below zero almost the whole week. Gave it an hour or two and it has been my main player ever since. Just changed the chromes that were on it at the time a month or so ago! For no particular reason.

20. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I think there's little enough lacquer on those, that I doubt the cold temperature has much of an effect.