1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD ...and how do you get a finish to look like that.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moishelichtfuss, Apr 3, 2013.

1. So this nice little 78ish Jazz Bass arrived at my doorstep yesterday. Apart from its ungodly weight (well on its way too 12 lbs) it sounds really beautiful and was completely original including the case.

13999207ee.

Now the question. I knew about the finish issues beforehand and a little bit of sanding-down and polishing made it all nice and smooth again, BUT: What do you have to do to make the finish this chippy and flaky? Loads of sun and moisture?

13999208gh.

The original color was black btw. :)

2. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    Idk,but that finish looks amazing if you ask me.

3. It kinda reminds me of the "bowling ball" finishes Washburn had back in the 80's. As far as how to acquire that type of finish? My guess would be exposing the bass to rapid fluctuations in temperature. Hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold, etc. By rapidly changing the temperature, the wood will expand, and contract, hereby doing the "damage" that some of us weirdos like.:bassist:

4. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Manager - Zon Guitars
    I might be wrong, but that looks like water damage to me... constant exposure to lots of moisture in conjunction with lots of heat and cold exposure... something in that neighborhood.

Was it stored in a damp basement in its case standing upright next to a heater?

Anyway, I'm sure there are others here who would know better, but that's my guess.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Water damage was the first thing I thought too. Not sure what else would leave such discoloration.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That cracked finish usually comes from hot/cold/hot/cold exposure

7. I like the look quite a bit, too. Sanding it off a little was however kind of mandatory, since the flakes had pretty sharp edges. :)

There are no signs of corrosion on any of the metal parts of the bass btw.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is pretty heavy finish damage. Agreed about it probably being water damage. Nitro will crack from exposure to cold and then being bumped, but that level of cracking on poly would probably only happen with some extreme exposure IMO. I dig the bass though!

9. Well, whatever was done to it, it was done right! Because I think it looks awesome.

10. Yip...I really like it. I worry about the weight a little. That's the heaviest bass I ever owned.