1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD..and I'm a little confused.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So, I can only play short scale basses as I only have three fingers. I just picked up this killer '71 EB-0.

I can't understand why these are not more popular. I played it all day, then while cleaning the kitchen, I was listening to Amy Winehouse who is very much traditional. I thought, wow, thats my bass sound!!!
    Plus, everyone raves about P-basses with flats.

I have even seen players stick socks in their basses to get that James Jamerson Motown sound.
    Well.....the EB-0 bass pretty much sounds just like that. Yet they are not popular.
    But, I do find there is a trick with these basses.

1. Pickup height very close to the strings.
    2. Volume down to 5-7
    3. Tone down to 2-3. This seems counter intuitive for an already dark sounding bass, but with the tone rolled off, it really warms up and nails that vintage P-bass with flats tone.

I don't get it.....but then, people are set in their ways and will believe what they want.
    i have my Jazz bass, and now I have, to me, the ultimate P-bass tone.

Merry Christmas and happy whatever other pagan rituals you may be following!!

IMG_1443[1].JPG IMG_1444[1].JPG

ajkula66, basscapes, Nebula24 and 7 others like this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Ya know, I see these "why isn't this more popular?" and I get the question, no doubt.

But it doesn't matter, really. Maybe you've discovered the secret of that bass that everyone is missing out on. You've found the bass that works for you and that's really the important part.

Since that bass came out, there's been no end of all kinds of instruments at all levels and all prices. Some will remain high in the fray, some will drop into the backdrop.

It's great that you've found a bass that appeals to you so much you want to share and makes you wonder why it's not more popular. Nothing better.

Enjoy!

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I knew a guy who would only play an EB0. Caught up with him years later and yes, he tried Fenders and whatever and went back to his EB0 from high school.

When it’s right, it’s right.

4. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

That’s a super neat headstock. :O

--^@

5. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    At the pricepoint they can be had at I just love the vintage EBO. Just added a 63 to go along with my 61.

ajkula66 likes this.
  6. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    they're probably not more popular because of people like me who don't like how they play, function, feel, and sound.

it's all subjective, man. I'm always stumped as to why more people don't dig on old danelectros & silvertones, but this is the world in which we live.

but congratulations are in order! you found an instrument that works for you! many people never find that. and what's even better, it's affordable! (at this rate I'll get my dream F-bass when I'm 187.) so long as a Jack White-esque person doesn't come along and ruin the market, that is

ajkula66 likes this.
  7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You Found something that works for you. Great!

I have huge hands - I have one medium scale (32 inch) bass, that's also a Jazz width neck. Everything else I have is 34 inch scale, P width necks. The 32 feels like a toy to me - everything is so close together! I have played it at a couple gigs, but to do that, I have to play it all week before the gig to get used to it, or I overshoot where things are. The only reason I keep it is it's 6.25 pounds, and I have had back issues, so it's kinda an emergency bass.

It's all in what works. You've got yours, I have mine. We're different; what works for us is different.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Congratulations! Welcome to the dark side. I have always been a fan of Gbison basses aside from a flock of Thunderbirds I have a '67 EB0 and '75 EB3 both great basses!

mellowinman likes this.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That's a fantastic instrument, man.

10. That is a beautiful instrument!

If I had the $$$...

I do, however have an original 60's EBO pickup sitting in my parts container (wrapped up in bubblewrap!). Bought it back when I went through my Billy Sheehan phase in the late 80's!

That is an awesome, deep tone out of that PUP too!