1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! and NABGD! First Truly NEW Bass in a Quarter Century

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    … and both times, I mail ordered five-string Ibanez basses I had never played before. Lightning may have struck twice!

After recently resurrecting my acoustic guitar and getting back into that sound, I started hearing a place for it in the new material I had been writing—mostly on five-string bass. I had never seriously considered owning an acoustic bass guitar, but now I had to have one, and a five-string at that. I knew my options would be limited and that I would probably have to mail order something new that I had never played before; but I can’t say I’m surprised that Ibanez had an answer: the AEB105E.

Amazingly, I still got birthday money for my 40th birthday (maybe a few relatives felt bad that I turned 40 on Election Day shortly after moving somewhere I didn’t know anybody while a pandemic continued to rage and I couldn’t really celebrate at all, I don’t know). My cousin tracked me down a deal earlier this week, and a long, lightweight box arrived on my doorstep this afternoon.

5C7BD794-3DD4-4AD9-8E22-64450BF43FB7.jpeg
    (They had packed it a bit more securely than this, but you get the idea.)

Once tuned up to BEADG, the instrument seemed set up reasonably well with surprisingly low action—a bit too low for playing with a pick, which is generally the plan, but quite good for fingerstyle. I will probably bring some relief into the neck and see if I can get away with my weirdo GCGCF tuning and/or playing with a pick, but I think I will just enjoy it as-is for a bit first.

Fret ends are a bit rough but not awful, and I could pick a few nits, but it feels solid—anybody talking about “skinny Ibanez necks” obviously hasn’t played my ATKs, and this one is noticeably more substantial even than those—and looks great. The purpleheart fingerboard and bridge came as pleasant surprises, even if they aren’t very purple.

0D2CEAFF-599E-436E-A4A6-FEB638EC1305.jpeg
    D012F9E8-D80F-4D3A-951F-C4C7FF4EF667.jpeg

It does not project like our more famous cousin’s Earthwood, but I had no illusions that it would; the volume exceeds the humble expectations I had for it, especially on that lowest string.

The Fishman pickup and preamp only help matters. I thought I had read that this one came with a single tone control, but mine has a 2-band EQ, and I’m glad. It sounds remarkably like an acoustic bass guitar through an amplifier set flat; I liked it best with the bass bumped up a bit on the instrument. It even played nicely with pedals, and remained dead quiet without feedback when I stopped playing (other than when I got right up by the amplifier to hit the power switch). I hope to record at home next month, mostly direct, and this seems like a promising setup.

The last time I blindly acquired a brand new Ibanez fiver, it instantly became my preferred instrument and has remained so for most of the last quarter century. Initial impressions suggest I have another winner on my hands here. I think I will post a few more shots and then stop talking so I can start playing again!

C1273DE2-528E-440D-8667-BCD0B0221732.jpeg
    Brand new Ibanez ATK305, probably 1996

198FF10E-7784-4126-9B35-5138E76EE4D3.jpeg
    Brand new Ibanez AE105E, definitely 2020

5637AE69-CF10-4587-B07B-1F20E677E665.jpeg

2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Nice ATK too. Miss mine sometimes.

bholder and Riff Ranger like this.
  3. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Hard to believe, but I almost got rid of it. Then I very much didn’t :roflmao:

14E5E628-3359-4356-AEF1-83B99E4A14FB.jpeg

bordinco90, Bleecker, TonyP- and 6 others like this.
  4. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Riff Ranger likes this.
  5. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Yes, as with so many other things, 2020 had plans of its own for my family and took us from Monterey Bay to Bigfoot Country, so I couldn’t really remain “Monterey Bay-ss” anymore.

BassmanM likes this.
  6. Im amazed how many newer Ibanez basses have sharp fret ends.
    I got an acoustic 4 string last year and had to fix the fret ends.
    Pre covid I noticed that too on other low end models at stores.

7. Ranger, I've come THIS CLOSE to ordering one of those I don't know how many times, and I did not because I could not find anyone that sells 32" scale five string ABG sets.

Have you investigated this? Otherwise, it would have been a done deal quite a while ago.

Anybody ?

Bassaga likes this.
  8. Oh, and congratulations on your new basses!... i should have said that before my mini rant.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  9. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I don’t think it’s every Ibanez, or just Ibanez, but they crop up here and there. They’re certainly noticeable on this instrument and only slightly less noticeable than those on the MiKro I randomly received as a gift, but not on the lefty MiKro I bought for my son, or most Ibanez models I tried in stores pre-pandemic. My G&L Tribute series guitar has them, but neither of my Squiers do. My older instruments don’t have them, but who knows what professional attention they’ve seen over the years. I know my first bass had them worse than almost anything I have ever played :laugh: but even that was otherwise a fine instrument. My professional buddy in Nashville says he encounters them even on U.S. Fenders and G&Ls.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  10. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Good rundown, and congrats on your new pick, enjoy that thang!
    Happy belated for your B-day! :thumbsup:

Riff Ranger likes this.
  11. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I either didn’t know or forgot that this instrument had a scale length of 32”, so you got me investigating. I haven’t turned up much yet, but clearly Ibanez gets them somewhere. I had hoped they might sell model-specific sets like they do for the MiKros, but I haven’t found any. I will try to track down someone at Ibanez. In the meantime, the strings on it seem plenty good; and according to this article from Stringjoy, nickel rounds in the same gauges will work just fine on an acoustic, but going the other way works only slightly better than playing electric bass through a guitar combo :laugh:

12. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Just one bass this time, haha. I have had the other one pictured here for a l o o o n g while!

13. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I got brave, or possibly just impatient, and adjusted the truss rod. Looks like weirdo tunings and playing with a pick will work just fine :bassist:

Dubious Aa and C Stone like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    OK, coupla things:
    Happy Birtyday.
    Happy NBD
    Welcome to ABG, enjoy!
    If you're honest, isn't every place bigfoot country?

Riff Ranger likes this.
  15. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Happy Birthday! Happy NBD! And you'd tell us if you were really Troy Sanders right?

ba563398751079700e8bf5733efdf738.jpg

16. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Glad to hear this. I actually started a thread just a couple days ago, asking about the worthwhile-ness of a low B on acoustics. Apparently they are indeed worthwhile!

Riff Ranger likes this.
  17. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Thanks!
    Thanks!
    Thanks! I imagine I shall.
    If I’m honest, I don’t believe in Bigfoot; but not until I lived here did my library card look like this.
    5989D6C3-560B-4D5B-8DF6-917C8EA2E302.jpeg

18. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    To be clear, it’s not amazing; but it’s good for the price, and exceeded my humble expectations.

Bassaga likes this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Still got the ATK huh? Dope

Riff Ranger likes this.
  20. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Thanks! Thanks! And while I suppose I summon some serious Sanders-ness while sporting a certain style of short-scale Squier (sans silverburst, sadly), I would probably be posting about my custom Bischoff five-string take on the old Ernie Ball Earthwood if I was.
    8115AFDB-07D2-4FE3-ABFB-56E55077304E.jpeg
    (Though I am a fan, and tend to favor similar tunings.)

Eon Sky likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021