1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD (and review) - Fender Precision Bass (2018 Player Series)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stringthrough, Jul 14, 2018.

1. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

So after switching to 5 stringers about a year ago, 4 stringers are making something of a comeback in my bass life. (Not giving up the 5-ers, just want to enjoy the 4's again, probably gig with them in a straight RnR setting.)

With only one gig-worthy 4-stringer in my herd ("Rosie", my parts P-bass - Roadworn P Bass body, Delano P style PU and Warmoth all-rosewood neck) I went into my local GC to scope out a good J bass, maybe even a another P bass is it differed enough from Rosie.

Played a number of Fender J's and P's, including Elites, Professionals and 60's Original units (they just got a shipment because they rarely have such a selection) and only really liked an Elite P bass. Not wanting to spend $1,800 (ball park) for an "OK" bass I was ready to leave when I saw this bass.

First thing I noticed was the color; really nice blue. I picked it up and it was light; a VERY important consideration for me. (When I got home it registered 8.6 lbs on my postal scale.) Then the neck - Nice. A well executed P size neck, older in geometry, not like the new '63 style necks found on the new Professional P units. Fret work - First rate, no buzzing, dead spots, choking when bending and no rough edges. Nice pots - smooth with just the right amount of resistance.

I then plugged it into a Markbass 1x15" combo and got classic, high quality P bass bark out of the bass. At no point did I think the PU's would have to be upgraded.

$600 (pre-tax) later I was out the door with this loveliness.

When I got home, I gave the truss rod a quarter turn, just to get the action a bit lower, and was very pleasantly surprised to feel that the truss rod did not fight me, meaning there is plenty of "play" left in it should I ever want to lower the action some more.

Negatives??? Only that it does not come with a case. I had to schlep the bass back to my house in a cardboard shipping box.

I LOVE the Mexican made Fender guitars and basses, other than the absence of neck stiffening bars I don't know why anyone would want to spend 150% more for a MIA version when these cover all the bases.

Guess which bass I'm bringing to my next gig?

[Edit]

In case you're thinking I'm gushing over this bass because I've not come across quality basses, know that in the past I've owned basses by Elrick, Sadowsky, Lull, Fender CS, Ken Smith, MIA Steinberger, numerous MIA P's and J's and a few other choice specimens.

Fender Player Series P Bass.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks like "quality" to me --- great looking ax! cool blue you! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

stringthrough likes this.
  3. Doctor_K

Doctor_K Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Western NY
    Nice bass. Enjoy!

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Maple board on a P, the way God meant it to be!
    Love that color too, Congrats!

5. tim68

tim68

Oct 16, 2013
    Harvest AL
    Very nice. Great color! Wish my local GC would stock something besides sunburst.....:(

filler83 and stringthrough like this.
  6. rbanyaga

rbanyaga

Feb 5, 2013
    Dallas TX
    I just picked up the same P-Bass and totally dig her! Great finish, fretwork and pickup. Amazing Bass for a great price.

Attached Files:

stringthrough and BassmanM like this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Congrat !!!! I try The new Player P and overall quality is improve which as close as Squier Classic Vibe CV70P.

nonohmic, wizard65 and stringthrough like this.
  8. stringthrough

Yup, can't find one thing wrong or weak on it.

JRA likes this.
  9. stringthrough

Thanks Dr. K.

10. stringthrough

Totally agree. Wasup with rosewood fretboard on a P bass???

11. stringthrough

In this cool blue?

12. stringthrough

I get you. Used to love sunburst in my hippie days. Now it's boring.

13. stringthrough

You prefer Asian Squier's to Mexican Fenders?

14. stringthrough

And there she is on the right next to my #1, Rosie.

2PBasses.

phillipkregg, alack, Tooned and 2 others like this.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Congrats love that color combo

16. Swingin

Swingin Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Where did you find it for $600? I think it was $679 at the guitar center I visited yesterday.

17. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Beautiful bass! I wouldn't mind one myself :)

How is the neck profile? I heard they are a little little thinner and flatter than the MIM STD

18. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    She's beautiful. Congrats.

19. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The Players P-Bass is a great choice. The MIM Fenders seem to just keep getting better.

Is there a chance I would buy a used MIA American Standard or American Pro instead for a few bills more? Maybe but maybe not. The graphite stiffening rods, rolled fingerboard edges, and included case are nice bonuses in the latter instance.

stringthrough and phillipkregg like this.
  20. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

Love the colour, goes perfectly with the maple fretboard. Congratulations, rock that thing! :bassist: