1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Another Ibanez Mikro, weathered black

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Nov 7, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    So as some as you might have read I chipped some of the upper fretboard off my old Mikro, a black one with basswood body, as I attempted to drill out the cavity for a third far neck position pickup, a Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker neck replacement pickup.

Therefor I saw myself more or less forced into buying a new one, one of the new ones with mahogany body and black hardware in weathered black.

My old Mikro had a pair of P/J EMG Geezer Butler pickups installed, so naturally it was my plan to swap the stock pickups in my new bass with those.

However as I was installing them I discovered that to my dismay the cavity for the bridge J pickup, for some reason in this new Mikro, was just ever so slightly too short, so ended up only installing the Geezer P pickup and then leave the original J pickup, but disconnect, since I didn't want any hum noise, so that it just was a visually dummy.

Like with my old bass I hooked the pickup directly to the output plug of the bass, bypassing all controls, pots and caps.

Also I installed three, for now, dummy switches instead of the stock pots, as it is my plan at some point to get professional help for both carving the bridge J pickup cavity bigger, so that it can house the Geezer J pickup, as well as carving a cavity in the far neck position for the Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker pickup I originally planed to install in my old bass, and then connect all three pickup to one switch each so I am able to toggle them on or off individually.

Finally I ran a sound test, and since I am used to both the P and J pickup full up hooked directly to the output plug of the bass, I missed a little more teblely bite in the tone, on the other hand with just the P pickup it sounded slightly more snappy, burby and punchy than usual, which actually is not too bad in my book.

At least I can live with it, until I have the economy to have the other cavities done for the additional pickups.

So here it is (after my mods):
    hwjJQpw.

Plays perfectly by the way, only complaint is that the A string for some odd reason makes a muted buzzy sound and produces no real note on the 21th fret, all other frets and strings sounds just fine.

Guess a fret dressing would eventually fix that, but honestly I doubt I am ever going to need to play that high up on the A string anyway.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Are you going to sticker and paint this one up, or leave it as is?

I like that finish more than most of the other ones in that series.

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Probably my favorite finish of the Mikros as well, which is why I chose it for my new one, even if I do like both the walnut natural finish and the old gloss black option, as my old Mikro, too.

As to weather I am doing any further visual mods to it it I'm undecided yet, but if I am it's definitely not going to be as extensive as with my old Mikro.

Still the new bass looks a bit dull and bare to me, even if it admittedly has a beautiful finish and the black hardware add to the overall aesthetics as well, so considering maybe some kind of stuff on the upper part over the area of the bridge J pickup, like that orange circle with the black OM sign I have on my old one.

Also considering instead of getting the J pickup cavity made bigger to fit the EMG Geezer Butler J pickup I got, maybe to just buy a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Jazz Bass STK-J2N neck pickup and throw it in there instead, since that would fit and is hum canceling just like the Geezer.

Finally the pure acoustical tone of this new bass is beautiful present and full and offers a lot of sustain, compared to that of my old Mikro which honestly sounded a bit dull and muffled acoustically even if I liked it's amplified tone a lot.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Looks cool, congrats!

NoiseNinja likes this.