1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD ! Arcus S3

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by oldNewbie, Jan 11, 2019.

1. oldNewbie

oldNewbie Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Woo Hoo ! 32 years later, time to retire the german bow purchased from a teacher.The luthier had a few models of JT , Coda and some wood models in the price range. Three basses in the shop , including my loud nasal blockless ply brought in for a soundpost tweak. Hadn't really considered the Arcus before but its response was clearly a big step up from the others. A little lighter - 120g , very responsive and much less prone to squawking . Thumb position was smoother and easier to get an even tone , and thus easier to move toward the bridge .
    Maybe it was the black hair ;-) .

2. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Congrats!
    Really enjoying my Arcus s4!

Max George likes this.
  3. oldNewbie

Apr 11, 2016
    Was your initial impression that it's a very different bow?
    So they make one stick and grade them s3-s8. Have you had a chance to play any other grades ?

Max George likes this.
  4. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Well, my previous bow were student quality bows, one brazliwood french, one chinese carbon german bow.
    The acrus is on a completly different level. very light, very grabby hair, very bouncy, a joy to play.
    I got to test two S4 models, one with black hair, one with white hair.
    The sound between the two was radically different, i didnt expect that. The white haired bow was very bright and projected like crazy. The black hair was much softer, darker sounding.

5. I thought i had made a very expensive mistake when I bought my S6 as it was quite 'tinny' sounding on the G, hard to get the E string going and seemed to pull a wolf note on the D string where my old bow didn't .

My old bow was black hair and my new Arcus is white. I figured perhaps i needed to experiment with my rosin and I swapped out my cake of Pops to a brand new cake of Kolstein All Weather ...what a huge difference that made . The sound just opened up out of nowhere, the wolf note just disappeared and a beautiful tone appeared on all strings! (i don't think that there was much wrong with the pops other than it was brittle and getting past its sell by date - black hair seems to be more forgiving with an older cake of rosin than white hair!).

Six months in and I just love this bow. It has everything - great response on and off the string, both delicate and powerful when you need it and a really classy rich smooth sound with crisp clean articulation ...worth every hard earned penny! Congratulations to you and all the best with your playing!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    oldNewbie likes this.
  6. oldNewbie

Apr 11, 2016
    It must be a big trick to get them right- mine (the cheapest grade) has some interesting swirls in the layup. Reminds me that the vast majority of carbon fiber bicycle frames come from a few factories in China , off the same lines. They too are graded and then sent to OEMs at the various price points.
    So if they indeed push the limits of CF production techniques, it wouldn't be surprising to find that Arcus bows may have a wide range of personalities and be sensitive to setup etc.
    Meanwhile, it's going to be a very long time, if ever, before my playing approaches the level or limits of the bow.
    Back to those (*&^ , diabolical Strokin' exercises. They matter more than the stick.

DBB best to you and your S6 as well !

DoubleBassBass likes this.
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  8. oldNewbie

Apr 11, 2016
    Yep.
    Just noting that ~some~ CF production is uncertain enough that you make the product, and then find out how good it is. The excellent CF bows <$1K show that CF using some processes can be made reliably and thus cheaply, but that's not the only way to make CF. In the Arcus bows, it would seem, what they do is very difficult , each stick a truly unique thing. When I picked up mine the first time, even with my amateur bowing skill, it was surprisingly different. A month later, still very happy, and satisfied in working to learn how to use and live with it.
    By mentioning that giant cf bike frame manufacturers do this was trying to point out that building CF things by making then grading is not unique to Arcus.