1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Aria Custom Shop Violin Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 14, 2017.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I recently saw this bass selling from Japan on Ebay, thankfully I was able to talk the seller down a few hundred and close the sale. I've only seen two others of this model online in the past 11 years. As I was well overdue for a vacation, I thought why not spend my time off with a new bass. It's active with a piezo pickup in the bridge. If it's a keeper, I'll probably have it refinished in some sort of green finish. I can't believe how fast shipping was from Japan to California, it arrived in only two days. So here it is!

s-l500%202_zpsmqtazhey.jpg

s-l500_zpsjqlmbqgw.jpg

s-l500%203_zps3ldalro9.jpg

2. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I've never seen one of these before. Cool bass!

Moonshine :bassist:

3. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Look amazing!

Also looks like it'll neck dive faster than a.... hmmm.... hang on I can work with this....

Faster than a lead giraffe on the 50-m platform!!!

Nailed it.

Ryan L. likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks really nice! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

how is the neck? any dive? can you compare the feel of the neck to anything?

5. MAJOR METAL

Well I just got the bass unpacked, it's far more impressive to see in person. However, the bass does not seem to have a passive bypass and the bass did not come with a battery. Just tried a 9 volt and that battery is far too large to fit the bass. Every active bass I've seen has used a 9vlt. Any ideas of other batteries to try? It's not AA or AAA.

6. MAJOR METAL

I have a few battery suggestions, I'll be off to CVS in the morning. Hopefully I will hear my new bass amplified tomorrow.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That is very cool! I love the way it looks, beautiful!

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Odd bass takes odd batteries? Story checks out, but still confuses...

9. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    What year is the bass? And is the Tbird pickup original? It's certainly a cool odd duck!

10. MAJOR METAL

It's from 1994. Yeah, all original.

11. MAJOR METAL

Well I solved the battery predicament.

I was unfamiliar with this kind of battery box. Turns out when you open the battery compartment from the bass, there's another latch to open in the battery compartment which enables enough space for a 9 volt battery. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    TheMinutemen likes this.
  12. That bass looks great with the finish that is has. If you want to do a green finish you could do a vinyl wrap that could be peeled off if you decide to sell it down the road.

Rick B.

13. MAJOR METAL

You know the inspiration that comes from having a new bass? Well that's what I have with this instrument.

This is unlike any other violin bass I've owned. In part, I've never owned an active violin bass, plus a bass with a piezo pick up.

The clarity and articulation of this instrument is tremendous. I'm in love.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021