1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Aria sb-404

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InternetAlias, Nov 23, 2018.

1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    46517141_280454892600947_1219749585119870976_n.
    Got this beauty for 120e
    Needs some work to be playable how I like it (I need to recess the bridge into the body in order to make it possible to lower the action) and has a defective pot, otherwise works great! Frets have very little wear.

G-Z, Bass V, Lardass5000 and 5 others like this.
  2. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    If the price is right and your happy, I'd say you done more than good. Congrats on a great looking bass.

InternetAlias likes this.
  3. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I pretty much buy all sub 200e guitars as project guitars, so essentially I buy things cheap and modify them to my liking :D

So yeah, I am more than happy with this base. Some really nice woods to work with here!

Raw N Low likes this.
  4. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    Man I have always wanted one.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Years ago a local music shop picked up Aria and I jumped on that bass. It was quite stunning and felt great to play. The issues thou were horrible, noisy electronics. I took it back since it was unplayable due to huge ground issues and bad pots.
    The store claimed a repairman they used would fix it but they instead they ordered me another. The one that replaced it never left their store. This time I plugged it in to an amp there in the store.
    It was worse than the first one. I got my money back and that was that but it appeared to be a nice bass at the time but had major issues with electronics then.

6. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    This one has the treble pot rotate all around. I do however plan to do several things to those electronics:
    1) Remove the active circuitry entirely
    2) Leave blend and volume pots
    3) Add a tone pot (LPF)
    4) Add a bass cut pot (HPF)

With this, the really bad, noisy preamp would no longer be an issue. I don't even like active electronics, I wanted to rip them out of every active bass I had.

Are thy actually hard to find?

7. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Was yours very noisy with hiss and pops when you plucked the strings? This was when China started shipping allot of Guitars and basses to the states. It was too bad since it seemed well built . I remember being quite bummed by my experiences with Aria.

8. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I get obnoxiously loud "ping" sounds when I hit the pickup with my finger or pick. Otherwise, it is not even that noisy, it is probably just noisier than running it passive, since I opened the guitar up and realized it's cheap circuitry.

9. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Good luck then...nice score! Hopefully going passive will cure it I’m sure.

10. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Going passive will cure things being noisy and unpredictable, but it won't cure the high frequency pings. Those are caused by the fact that there are springs pushing the bobbin, and the pickup cover is hitting the bobbin, making things vibrate between the spring pressure, the fact the cover doesn't perfectly adhere to the bobbin, etc. In short, there's too much space in that pickup that allows for movement of internal parts.

This, however, can be fixed with glue and wax.

bassbully likes this.