1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD (AXL)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dabbler, Mar 7, 2013.

1. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I know AXL gets little respect, but no matter, I already had a badwater 1216 which I liked, and decided to get a bass to go with it.

IMGP3702a.

If the fretboard looks dry, it's because it is, but I have no intention of oiling it. This is my down home, dirty and worn bass! I love it! I love the finish, especially the aged hardware. I don't know what kind of strings are on it, but I'm enjoying them too. They have a clanky top end (I mean that in a good way) but you can roll the tone back and get some depth. I do think they are brighter than the webstrings that I normally use, and I have no intention of changing my main strings, but I'm enjoying the change.

The neck is chunky, I like chunky. I didn't take a pic of them together, but just so you know what I'm matching it with, here's my 1216 (the actual color is closest to the second pic):

IMGP0487. IMGP0498.

The copper pickguard and pups are the only shiny things on the 1216 and I had thought that the bass had copper guards too, but they aren't ,they are painted an aged white.

2. Thunderbird meets Jazz Bass? I kinda like it.