1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Bacchus DX5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bal704, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I ordered this Bacchus DX5 from Japan just a few days ago, spurred by recent postings on Bacchus. This is a Bacchus DX5, from the MIJ Handmade series. It was NOS from the vendor, as apparently there has been a few changes to the model recently and this is the previous version.

First impressions: Really, really nice bass. It is passive, with a series/parallel push/pull that really adds some oomph to the output. Feels great in my hands. The current exchange rate makes these a steal.

I was thinking about getting a tort pickguard for it, or maybe translucent tort. What do you think?

DSCN1686.

DSCN1687.

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Very classy!
    Bacchus is second to no one when it comes to variety.
    I like the trans brown pickups Bacchus uses on some of their basses. Trans tort might look good, too.

cnmeehleder likes this.
  3. Amplified

Amplified

Jan 19, 2014
    Cyberspace
    Nice. Am a Bacchus owner also. Play it in good health.

fender68 likes this.
  4. Gorgeous bass. I'm really diggin' the pickguard that's on it. Nice matching woodgrain between the pg and the bass.

cnmeehleder and JustForSport like this.
  5. Thanks!

It's a clear plastic pickguard,so you're seeing the bass.

JustForSport likes this.
  6. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've got this beauty coming this week so I'm new to Bacchus but from what I've seen video and read on the. They are quality that's as good as any double the cost. If I like this I'm going to get a Blue Woodline. image.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    OP, really nice looking bass there- distinctive finish and appearance matching.

"tort pickguard for it"- too busy, will detract from the bass. Good for a painted Fender-style, tho.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    It looks really nice, now go play...

9. grimmchaos

grimmchaos Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Albany, NY
    That looks great! How is the fit and finish?

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Anything you dont love about it? Considering ordering one...

11. Fit and finish is superb. I haven't found anything I don't like yet, but I need to play it in a band situation.

Basically, it's a really, really nice Jazz bass.

12. fender68

fender68

Jun 7, 2011
    OMG!! I keep eyeing this one. NICE!!

campbems likes this.
  13. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    That's gorgeous. Do you mind if I ask what it cost? Haven't been able to get the browser to translate correctly.

14. Less than $900 shipped....

Eminor3rd likes this.
  15. i've said it once and i'll say it again, the only reasons Bacchus isn't putting all their western competitors out of buisness is the language barrier and their lack of overseas retailers.

cnmeehleder and AngelCrusher like this.
  16. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Wow. Congrats!

17. I took the DX5 to practice last night. This bass surpassed all my expectations! Great tone, easy to play. Just sits in the mix so well.

campbems likes this.
  18. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Congrats I have the same bass, 4 string version. I don't really use the turbo knob too often, but the bass itself is extremely clear. Have to love those hand wound pickups.

19. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    This is my issue. I have no idea where to begin. Except for some individual specifications that I saw, everything else on the web sites I've looked at were in Japanese. I looked at their website directly, and some retailer websites as well.

20. cnmeehleder

cnmeehleder

Feb 16, 2016