1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! Bass Centre Bruce Thomas signature "Profile Bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thwack, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Anybody else grab one of these? Honestly, I only bought it because I'm a HUGE Bruce Thomas fan/admirer. Not like I really needed another P-Bass. This is a really nicely made instrument!
    I think the pu's are too hot for my playing style but otherwise it is, as advertised, a real joy to play.
    It was packed in the box inside a very nice quality gig bag but I didn't photograph that.
    IMG-0897.JPG IMG-0901.JPG headstock.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nice bass. He is a heck of a bassist.

3. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle

!!

woodyng2 and GregC like this.
  4. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & RVA
    I'm a fan too.
    Any idea who the instrument was made by?

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I am a huge Bruce Thomas fan. Let us know your thoughts on the bass after you put it through its' paces!

6. Does it have the same body thickness as a Fender P, or is the body thinner like a Squier?

7. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Bruce's original P bass was stolen in the '90s (?).
    He worked with the owner of Bass Centre UK (Barry Moorhouse) for several years to come up with this model.
    I think the whole story and process are posted on their website.
    Bass is made in Korea which seems to bother some folks. I'm primarily concerned with how an instrument plays, feels and sounds. Couldn't care less about where it was made.

nixdad, GregC, woodyng2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    It arrived yesterday. I put flats on immediately ('cause I love my frets) and had to make a slight adjustment to the truss rod because of that.
    Pickups are VERY hot. I lowered them as much as possible and still am able to overdrive them more easily than I'd like.
    The neck is nice. Very nice. Very very nice.
    Fit and finish are top notch! As mentioned, it came with a high quality gig bag.
    After I play around and out with it I'll try to put together a more complete write up.

nixdad, GregC and woodyng2 like this.
  9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Great! I just checked out all the information on Bruce's website concerning the bass and the creation of it. It sounds really great in the clips that he has posted.

Thwack likes this.
  10. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    It looks fantastic!
    Reading on the BC website,it seems the body and the neck are contoured down for speed and comfort.
    If you don't mind my asking,i see the price on the website as $537 usd,but am wondering what you have to pay for shipping to the US west coast? (I live about 550 miles south of Seattle).

nixdad and Thwack like this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    ...men come screaming dressed in white coats, shake you very gently by the throat! :thumbsup::cool::bassist:

Thwack likes this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
  13. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Shipping was steep as you'd expect, around $100. I didn't mind since they're not available anywhere closer to me. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. It's a keeper for sure!

DiabolusInMusic and woodyng2 like this.
  14. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Thanks! I've got major GAS for an AVRI Fender '63 Precision,but the BT bass is very tempting at 1/3 the price. The description of the BT neck is interesting,as i prefer the smaller radius on the vintage P necks,and don't like the narrow Jazz nut size necks at all.

15. TMcMan

TMcMan

May 7, 2015
    Vermont
    Congrats - it looks great. Huge Bruce Thomas fan myself.

nixdad and Thwack like this.
  16. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    I completely understand gas attacks for an AVRI '63 P! They are 100% lust-worthy.

woodyng2 likes this.
  17. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    So cool, i only just heard about these right after buying this similar p-bass. Otherwise I would have definetly gone or one of these as a huge BT/Costello fan. How's the weight? Poly finish?

Attached Files:

GregC likes this.
  18. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Looks like you got yourself a beauty! I'd guess it's a poly finish and I've no idea what it weighs. Not heavy. Plays like a dream.
    In my first post I mentioned that the pickups were maybe too hot for me but since I've dialed everything in now and have spent a bunch of time playing it, I'll take back what I said.
    They ARE very hot, and super responsive dynamically and I like them a lot.
    I know, I had never hear of them or The Bass Centre before stumbling across Bruce's website a few months back. I saw the info on his bass but it was listed as not in stock. I signed up for an email when they were stocked again and the rest is history!

Coward Of Reali, woodyng2 and GregC like this.
  19. Elvisish

Elvisish

Mar 15, 2005
    It's the best bast I've ever owned, perfect action out the box, lightest bass I own, the elite strings it comes with are brighter than my DR HiBeams (always on the look out for lighter strings) and after 9 months still haven't dulled or lost their feel. The color is amazing, and I love the retro bridge!

Coward Of Reali and woodyng2 like this.
  20. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Darn I really need to get one of these

Thwack likes this.