1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Bass Mods K534 Nate Phillips Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Jan 24, 2017.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I got an amazing deal on this bass through the Guitar Center Used Site. It came from the Midlothian, VA store. Jay was the associate I contacted. He was great to work with. Got it ordered a few days ago and UPS delivered it to my office yesterday. I wasn't able to pick it up until late last night as I was coming home from a weekend vacation. So I've got maybe 30 minutes of tuning it up and playing around with it quietly in my apartment (through an Ampeg BA115) before I got too sleepy to continue.
    But it plays just as easily, if not better, than my Ibby SR1205e Premium. (That's the only 5'er I have to compare to, and my current main-player.) I think it's due to the Plek job. I've never experienced a Plek'd bass that I know of, but it's something to behold. The neck is really pretty thick compared to my Ibanez, but the action is spot-on perfection, as best I can tell. Incredibly low action and no buzzing! The over-used term 'like butter' is applicable.

So the neck is maple and the body is alder. The information I've found says it's chambered. I can't imagine how much of a monster this bass would be if it wasn't! It's pretty chunky, coming in around 10.2 lbs. And it doesn't balance incredibly well. But I can forgive these two things as they don't bother me much. In those two regards, my Ibanez is better.

The electronics are Delano JMVC FE pickups and an Aguilar OPB3 Pre. I haven't had a chance to let this thing loose yet to really get a feel for the sound, but so far I'm loving what I hear. The variety of the preamp is great. I definitely appreciate the push/pull for the active/passive. But weirdly enough, I sort of wish I had a tone control when it's in passive mode.
    Hardware is all Hipshot, gold plated. I'm not crazy about the gold, but I like it well enough. The pearloid pickguard and inlays, along with the binding on the neck, really help to class it up. I think it looks fantastic against the Metallic Teal finish. (I'm not sure why they decided to call it teal. It doesn't really look like it to me.) I had a hard time capturing the finish in the pictures. I think it's a little lighter than it appears. But wow, I love it. It really sparkles. It's almost gaudy!

This could very well overtake my well-loved Ibanez in my regular playing schedule! I'm excited to get it plugged into a real system and take it for a spin with a band!

20170124_002423. 20170124_002446. 20170124_002627. 20170124_002701. 20170124_002859. 20170124_003422. 20170124_003527. 20170124_003556.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. Finally a GC success story! I was getting tired of all the bashing threads.

RyanJD likes this.
  3. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I feel like I stole this thing!

Really though, I've had a lot of luck with GC. Mostly only ever dealt with them online or over the phone, but the used instruments I've bought have either been great, or GC has made good on their handy return policy. I have no complaints!

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  4. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I was actually really surprised with the B string as well. It rang out pretty clear, not flubby or anything either.
    It does need a new set of strings. I'm going to get a heavy gauge B, to make sure it's got plenty of tension.

I'm also kicking around the idea of painting the pickup covers a cream/white-ish color. Unless someone knows where I can get a replacement set of covers for the Delanos?

5. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I can't decide which I like more.
    Switching between the two, the K5's neck just feels humoungous. But I'm not sure if that necessarily means I'm faster on the Ibanez or not. They're both very playable.
    I think I can get some nicer sounds out of the K5. The Ibby's preamp isn't that special but the Nordstands really growl.
    I need to get some new strings on the K5 before I can make too many judgements though.

20170124_180805.

One thing I can say for sure is that somehow I got stuck with a bunch of gold hardware! :wacky:

Basehead and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. DannyRamirez

DannyRamirez

Sep 20, 2012
    Congrats! Bass Mods has an outstanding product. I'm trying get one this year

RyanJD likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice! 10 lbs would be a deal breaker for me, but if you can take it, I say wield that thang!

RyanJD likes this.
  8. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    Admittedly, I don't know anything about this brand. However, their maple blocked-and-bound necks are beautiful- probably my favorite look on a neck. I hope it serves you well.

Mr_O'B and RyanJD like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now you are in single coil heaven!:bassist:

10. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    They are coming out with new customs orders this year that will be a lighter. You can find all the information on their FB page. You can choose all your woods and it's build to order. It will cost you more than the standard models. I have a Bass Mods and it sounds great.

Mr_O'B and JimmyM like this.
  11. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    About how much did this set you back? I'm always looking online for a used Bass Mods but I can never find them. Not sure how I missed this one. I would have surely scooped it up.

Here is you bass in action.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice looking instrument (both actually!). congratulations! :thumbsup:

RyanJD likes this.
  13. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm digging it so far. Thanks!

Thank you! Yeah, I haven't gigged it yet. My Ibanez is probably around 8.5 lbs and that's what I'm used to. After a few hours of this thing, I could be in for a bit of a surprise. But I'm young and sturdy and I'm pretty sure I've owned heavier basses.

I can't get away from J basses!!

Thanks man! :)

JRA, JimmyM and Mr_O'B like this.
  14. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I've always said that heavy weight is the only negative thing I can say about Bass Mods.

Congrats on your new bass!

RyanJD likes this.