1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD, bass uke mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kohanmike, May 11, 2018.

1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Here's my latest bass ukulele mod. It started out as a Savannah Lightning Travel bass (play off of a Gibson Thunderbird), 23" scale, sunburst, Aquila Thundergut strings, black hardware. (I did a mild mod of one a couple of months ago.) They sell online for $270-290, but I found one for $225 so I grabbed it with the idea of modding it sooner or later, which happened when I received the green SG 22" scale bass custom made in China that turned out terrible. All my basses I make different from each other.

I sent it to Pat Wilkins to paint variegated green for $600, including a thumb rest Eric's Guitar made, but the paint came out darker than I wanted, though Pat does great work, so I accepted it. I then replaced the black hardware with chrome; Hipshot cloverleaf tuners, truss rod cover, knobs, output jack and LaBella 25" scale flatwound strings custom made for the Gold Tone Mbass. I also found a green strap and added green Gibson style fret marker stickers that I already had. On the back I added a chrome anchor to position the 25" scale strings to fit the 23" scale of the bass. The back, neck and headstock are dark green, the reflections are deceiving.

It started out like this:
    Savannah STB700 Lightning 1024.

and became this:
    Savannah green front 1024.
    Savannah green back 1024.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Guess only one person took a liking to this one, oh well. I'll have to post it on the green thread.

3. Falsecrack

Falsecrack

Nov 21, 2017
    I’m totally diggin’ it!

4. MrKeef

MrKeef

Feb 15, 2018
    I bet that thing sounds fantastic, looks awesome to boot!