1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Bassmods K535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FJJazz23, Jun 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FJJazz23

FJJazz23

May 9, 2016
    I have officially had ownership of this bass for a bit more than 12 hours and am really happy with it thus far. It is a brand new custom order J-style bass from Rob Lemas over at Bassmods. For those of you who might be considering buying a bass from him (Especially since Bassmods has just announced a new US built line of basses which give buyers an even greater ability to customize their instruments), I will provide a detailed rundown of my experience ordering the bass and a review of the instrument which I shall update throughout the weekend after each of my 3 gigs. Please note that not all I have to say is flattering, my goal is to give as accurate a picture of my own experience as possible and I have saved my email correspondence to back-up all of the information I put on here. My experience is mine alone and it cannot by itself determine what the average customer experience is like for people purchasing a Bassmods instrument. So with that out of the way here we go.

I initially contacted Rob on the 8th of November 2015 asking about ordering a bass. He responded that day with helpful information and a list of 24 different customizable specs ranging from body and fingerboard material, to pups and preamps, to scale length and color. Rob was incredibly helpful during these early stages, we had quite a rapid succession of emails and on the 13th my order was placed and the money had left my account. I felt the bass was a great deal at $1,320 for the spec I had selected including 35" scale, custom Lake Placid Blue inspired paint with a matching headstock, Hipshot A-Style Bridge, Satin Neck Finish, Nordstrand Big Singles, and an Aguilar OBP-3 Pre. And in the initial email I received I was told that there was a 4 month build time. I was not given a specific month by Rob to expect the bass to be in hand by and he did avoid that question the first time I posed it to him. But I went through with it and was quite proud of my investment, optimistic that it would turn out well. I did make one more email exchange with him on November 16th to help assure myself that my custom color would come out the way I wanted it to. This was probably annoying for Rob but he handled it with grace and quieted my concerns.

Then I didn't hear anything for 2 months. I emailed Rob on January 15th asking for an update. He responded same-day saying he should have details in early Feb. Turns out that by early February he meant late March. I contacted him on March 8th and he said he would definitely have an update for me the week of the 20th.

Then on March 29th Rob informed me that two mistakes had been made with my bass. One being that the neck had been given a gloss finish instead of a satin. the other being that the stock Bassmods bridge was installed instead of the Hipshot model I had ordered. I was sent pictures of the bass awaiting electronics and given the option of either cancelling the order and receiving a complete refund or continuing the order with a discount to compensate for the mistakes. The picture looked INCREDIBLE and while I was disappointed by the mistakes the discount Rob offered me was more than fair. Little did I know that over 2 months would pass before the bass ever got to me.

I received my discount the day after the bass was shipped. And the bass itself made it to me in perfect condition yesterday at 3:15pm. And all was right with the world.

The K535 (which I've named 'Lucy') is actually the heaviest bass I own, weighing in at 10.5 lbs a full 1.3 lbs heavier than my 5 string G&L. Not that I mind, I'm 24 and actually prefer a bit of heft in my instruments, I am merely surprised because it doesn't feel noticeably heavier to me. The neck is maybe a tad thinner than I'd prefer but it's very comfortable and easy to play. It feels solid by any standard, which these days isn't surprising for a bass built mostly in Korea. All of the electronics were installed here in the states by trained hands and everything works perfectly. I have to admit that it was actually put together with more care than my USA G&L, as that bass has knobs that scrape against the finish. Lucy sounds great thanks to the Nordy pups and Aguilar Pre and plays effortlessly. The only real complaints that I have about her is that the body finish is not consistent (some parts are rougher than others and there's even some noticeable bumps in the paint work) the action was set a tiny bit too low (personal preference of course but there was some distinct fret buzz when playing above the 12th fret despite it being Plek'd) And there was a hex screw used to lock the position of the saddle for the low B that was tightened too much and had stripped the hole it was in. I was able to fix that last one when I adjusted string height and re-intonated the bass but it's still worth mentioning.

Bottom line is I am really enjoying the bass and am quite happy with the quality of the instrument I received for how much I paid. It sounds very good and I imagine it will only sound better as it settles. I will give you all a more in depth report on how he bass itself performs after my first gig with it on Thursday. Till then I will be shedding as much as possible to help wear it in. 20160607_021614.jpg 20160607_021727.jpg 20160607_021713.jpg 20160607_021655.jpg

Fat Freddy, JRA, funkinbottom and 2 others like this.
  2. Sorry for the challenges leading up to finally getting this beauty. I am sure she was more than worth the wait..

FYI: I am totally in love with my K534 as well..

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Looks like a really sweet bass and I'm sure it sounds amazing given your choice of electronics. As long as it remains stable and reliable, these basses are a super deal-and-a-half!
    Oh, and if you could eventually put up some sound samples, would be much appreciated. I am considering putting Big Singles in my 2-band active Jazz V.

4. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    What a beauty!!! Enjoy the bass!

5. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Congratulations. Shes gorgeous.

6. FJJazz23

FJJazz23

May 9, 2016
    Thanks Everyone! There is one thing that I forgot to mention. This bass is LONG. 4ft long in fact. It doesn't impact playability at all, but it does prevent this bass from fitting in ANY case that I own, hard, soft, or otherwise...... I have been looking for cases to buy to fit it but unfortunately it looks like it's too long for most cases. Which is a problem considering that I gig out of town quite a bit and my gear gets thrown into the back of a trailer with the rest of the band equipment. So that is something to keep in mind. I will let everyone know what I find.

I will see what I can do for sound clips, I presently don't have means to record much of anything but I'll see if I can't work something out.

7. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    A friend of mine recently had the same problem. 471/2 inches of bass and no case . IIRC he bought a Peavey case. This one might work for you. Not sure of internal measurement, but overall dimensions are 50.8 x 17.2 x 6.5 inches. Hope that helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Hardsh...kcompar-20&ascsubtag=5756ed2148308f2af429e06d

8. FJJazz23

FJJazz23

May 9, 2016
    Thanks @funkinbottom I'll look into those because as of right now if I want a hardcase (which I do) I'd have to custom order one. G&G Cases (Who make cases so good that they can stand up to a sharp corner of weighted truss base plate) has informed me that they can make me one for $350. It's a great case but I'm not opposed to saving money.

@JayVek-72 My K535 won't fit either of those cases. I know it won't fit the Fender case because I own one and it didn't. Looking at the specs for the gig bag it won't fit that either "Internal dimensions 47.2 inches...." I appreciate the help though.

9. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    I've always wanted to try those big singles

10. That's weird, I wonder how they changed the body shape between when mine was made and when yours was.. Sorry Bro..

11. bassclef04

bassclef04 Bass and Beyond! Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    He has a 35" scale and you have a 34" scale making his bassmod slightly longer.

AltGrendel likes this.
  12. bassclef04

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Still in the honeymoon stage with my K534 great basses for the money.

13. Well there ya go... I guess it helps to read the whole model name.. LOL

14. That burl top on your K534 is sweet!!

15. bassclef04

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    It's cool apparently the scale length makes a big difference with choosing the right gig bag

16. bassclef04

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks bro!

17. bassclef04

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

really nice looking instrument! congratulations!

19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    @FJJazz23

Maybe just cut to the chase and order a custom road case.

Nice looking bass, BTW.