NBD Bee Bass GrooveBee is here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Djadja, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Djadja

Djadja Supporting Member

Last week I posted a thread that I had purchased a Bee Bass Groovebee on e-bay and was waiting to receive it.

I had owned fretless basses before and have always loved the mwah when played by a good player. I wasn't really a bass player then - more a guitar player, playing at the bass - and all but one weren't very good instruments so they didn't work for me. About three years ago I began to play bass more seriously and the GAS for a good fretless grew. I fell in love with what I had seen of Bee Basses. One came up on ebay for a ridiculous price and I jumped on it.

It arrived last thursday and I played it at a showcase on Friday evening, backing up a singer/songwriter, and again on Sunday in a church band.

The bass is just gorgeous. An artist friend saw it and remarked that it clearly is a piece of functional sculpture. It is. It plays very easily. The mwah is there even for a novice. Intonation is not so difficult as long as I pay attention. It does have fretlines although they are very subtle. The position dots on the side are between the "frets" rather than on them so they are not helpful. The pup is an unusual Delano Xtender. It sounds killer. My fretted bass is a USA Cirrus, not a bad bass at all, but it may be going up for sale as this bass may inspire me to switch to fretless exclusively.

Here are a few photos and a video from the builder.

groovebee2_zps6bdcdbac.jpg

groovebeeback_zps832a6ac3.jpg

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, I just confirmed this with Warmoth - fairly standard - unlined fretless have the dots "on" the fret positions, lined fretless have them in the usual "between the frets" positions - just think of it like a fretted bass - it's telling you which line is which, not where the notes are.

That sure is a beauty.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Thanks for the clip - also been wondering about the sound of those big Delanos - from what I can tell, that one does the job! Very nice tone!

4. Djadja

Djadja Supporting Member

that makes sense I guess...

Thanks for the kind words about the bass. I'm excited.

It is certainly a modern tone but a lot less polite than the pups in my Cirrus. I like it a lot. As soon as I started to play in the church band, the drummer who is very familiar with the sound of the cirrus and plays in a number of other bands with a variety of bass players remarked how nice the bass sounded. Here is another video of one of Fred's basses where he shows the various sounds of the pup a bit more directly.

5. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo Guest

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    I've got a jones for a Bee.

6. Djadja

Djadja Supporting Member

I understand. I'm really enjoying this bass and it is inspiring me to work a lot harder at my playing :hyper:

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Nice to see something different. Congratulations, looks beautiful.