1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Been searching for a J, but these P's keep following me home!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Picked up this really nice 2008 American Standard. Recently was on the hunt for a nice Fender Jazz, but after being underwhelmed by a few I tried, coupled with the fact that my inexpensive G&L Tribute JB-2 still sounded better, I stopped that search. Came across this Precision yesterday and couldn't resist since I'm a sucker for 3TSB and tort (and for the record I'm not an old guy!)

It's in great shape, came with some of the original case candy (truss rod tool, saddle hex wrench, owners manual, polishing cloth and case keys for the locks and the guy even included a set of bridge and pickup covers that were never installed), and the nice TSA case that they switched to in 2008 when they went back to calling it the American Standard.

Bass weighs 8.4lbs, 3-piece body and the burst is really nice. Neck joint is super tight and no gaps and the neck fits it like a snug glove. Has some minor fret wear on the first few frets. It cleaned up really well. Wiped the previous owners DNA off the fretboard and hit it with a hint of mineral oil (had some noticeable gunk on there), polished up the frets, gave it a good wipe down with some white gas (naphtha) and dropped in a Fender Pure Vintage '63 pickup, which was a big tonal improvement over the OEM/stock pickup. It didn't sound bad, but the '63 is just a growly, fat beast of a pickup! Strung it with some Fender 7250M's. Set it up last night to my own specs. I do like slightly lower action and just a little relief. Getting some buzzing when playing through my amp, and seems like it has a high fret or two in the upper frets. Doesn't buzz if I set it up to Fender spec, but I do like my basses set up a little different so I dropped it off today at a very reputable shop in San Francisco to have it PLEK'd. Should be done next week, but was also told I may get a call this Friday or Saturday to come pick it up!

O1Y6jJk.

MyxFY8J.

R61D3a6.

dDmTsfY.

Jm2q22y.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    That’s a real beauty , and I’m not even a big fan of sunburst. I’ll take a Precision over a Jazz everytime .

mesaplayer83 and sbpark like this.
  3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    My favorite, and that bass is spectacular... yes I'm an old guy. :)

TN WOODMAN and btmpancake like this.
  4. Gosh, that's a hairy one!
    Actually, it's a classic beauty. Enjoy!

sbpark likes this.
  5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Got the bass back from the shop today after having it PLEK'd. Plays like butter now. Nicest playing bass I've ever owned!

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I remember liking the 2008s that Ive played. New high mass bridge when it came out, and I liked the neck profile.

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    It's a very comfortable neck thats really easy to play, at least for me. No rolled edges like the new American Pro, but since I have a rosewood fretboard that's something super easy to do, but in all honesty it's pretty much perfect the way it is. It also sounds great with the PV '63 pickup. The other thing I like about the neck is it's just a little bit tinted, which may be due to the fact that it's a 9+ year old bass, but I really couldn't get over the stark, super light, non-tinted necks on the new American Pros.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    TN WOODMAN likes this.
  8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Stop smiling at them.

9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Well maybe it's telling you something… ;)

ajkula66 and sbpark like this.
  10. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Very nice - congrats!!!

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: real nice! congratulations due on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space