1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - belated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Feb 22, 2016.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    so I needed a beater....the VMJV I got last year actually turned out to be too nice of a bass and I started to really like it a lot...
    In comes the Affinity JV. Got it used for $120. Made some adjustments, and it plays pretty well. The neck looks like it might have a small twist in it, but not enough to impact playability. I'm not sure what I'll do about it yet...it is a beater after all.

8149F05C-E2E3-4FB5-A414-B3D12F549A6D.

8BAE1164-C8B7-4CEE-9155-7CA09C007070.

Mosstone, hopsbb, BassmanM and 2 others like this.
  2. Matt-R

Matt-R

Jan 20, 2016
    New York
    Nice I rock an Affinity JV currently that's pretty beat up. Love your VM though, would love to own one in the future. If you wouldn't mind, could you do a little comparison between them?

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I would, but for one, I don't have the means....I don't have anything with which to record. No DI box, no nothing.
    Also, it would be somewhat unfair as the VM has a 2-band preamp installed.

What I can say, is that the VM has more of that Vintage "sizzle" to it. The Fender-designed pickups are great. The Affinity has a bit more of a modern sound to it...for what it's worth.

As far as feel, the VM plays like butter. I absolutely LOVE the poly coating in the neck. It is never sticky or in any way a hinderence to playability; always smooth and slick.
    I also like how the poly allows the wood grain of the neck to pop; gives it a bit of a high-end look. Makes me want to have my L2500's Flame Maple neck coated...would look out of this world...
    DSC_7767.

DSC_7760.

DSC_0598_1.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Matt-R likes this.