NBD, Benavente content , pic heavy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by voodoobassist, Aug 4, 2019.

1. After not quite a year wait, my new Benavente DCD5 arrived yesterday! A little backstory to this, if you don't mind. About a year ago, I was trying to flip some basses to grab a Bena that was listed here on TB. The seller wound up lowering the price WAY down, and of course, it sold before I could raise the funds. :crying: I whined about it on FB a bit, and Chris, having been friends for a while now, reached out , and like the Godfather, made me an offer I couldn't refuse. No threats, just an amazingly tempting offer to build a bass just for me! :woot:

I've owned several " high end" basses over the years, but never had the chance to have one built to my specs. Already owning a Benavente 4 string, I knew the quality would be there. Chris's work is right up there with any builder in the world today. Soooooo,...after chatting with Chris and Howard Ulyate , pickup designer supreme, I made my choices on what I wanted the bass to be.

One very cool thing about getting a custom, is getting to watch as the build proceeds. Chris was very accommodating with this by posting pics and vids on FB. It's a pretty cool thing to be having your morning coffee and up pops your bass being worked on! :woot:

5 string, alder body, buckeye top, maple board , active/passive Benavente pre with passive tone, Ulyate split coil p'ups , 33" scale and .19mm string spacing. She arrived yesterday and I can truthfully say, it was worth the investment and the wait, which btw, was shorter than the build time he originally quoted to me. The B is tight and punchy, the neck is to die for, and the tone options are GREAT! I wondered about going split coil, since I'm more of a single coil fanboy. But in active mode, dial the mids back a bit, and voila! Single coil tone! Anyway, here's some pics, and then I'm going back to play her some more,...thank God the wife just left for a getaway with the grandkids. Otherwise I'd probably drive her nuts pumping out endless bass noodles over the next few days. Thanks for looking,....and if you ever thought about getting a custom done,.....TALK TO CHRIS BENAVENTE!!!!! :bassist::hyper::smug: Thank you sooooooooooo much Chris!

BenaBuild 1.jpg benafrets.jpg bena1.1.jpg bena1.2.jpg bena1.3.jpg bena1.4.jpg bena1.5.jpg bena1.6.jpg bena 1.7.jpg

2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Hot

Miles_ONeal, Q440 and jamro217 like this.
  3. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    That's a beauty!

jamro217 likes this.
  4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Congrats on that beautiful custom Benavente! :hyper:

Nice choice going with the Ulyate pickups - Howard builds some amazing sounding pickups. Those look like his newest Tic Tac series pickups, but I've never seen this type of configuration before - or the use of standard pole pieces for just the B-string - pretty wild! Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Volker Kirstein and jamro217 like this.
  5. That is really something. Benavente is one of the names in the bass building world that brings back so many memories for me - being a young lad on Talkbass fifteen years ago, looking at Luthiers Access Group and seeing those beautiful basses.

Enjoy your new bass!

burgerdj and jamro217 like this.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don’t recall seeing a double cut version of the D, which I’ve always loved the singlecut version of. Very cool- sort of like a wild version of a Fodera Emperor. Congrats!

MrLenny1 and jamro217 like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lovely, post a video!

jamro217 and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. His single cuts are the SCD line, the DCD's are of course, the double cuts. Think my model is officially called a DCD524. double cut, 5 string, 24 fret.

jamro217 likes this.
  9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

OMG!
    :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

jamro217 likes this.
  10. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm usually not a fan of buckeye, but that's nice. I like the clear area (sapwood?) down the middle... real sharp.

Congrats on the new bass and enjoy!

jamro217 likes this.
  11. Yay!!! That's stunning.

12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That's Sweet. I really like the body shape. Congratulations on a great looking build.

13. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Beautiful! Congratulations!

14. I'm generally not a fan of buckeye burl tops, but that is one nice looking bass! :thumbsup:

15. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Oooooh, pretty!!

I love drooling over basses like this one. Play it in good health!

16. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I love Howard Ulyate Tic Tac pickups .. Beautiful bass congrats!

17. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Incredible looking Bass. Just curious if it was an option to flip any one of the two pickups around to the other side?

18. So nice. I wonder - the black color on sides, it's a painting technique? Or the wood looks like this?

19. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Those pups look sweet. Play it loud and hard!
    Rock on.

20. craig0316

craig0316 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2017
    DAAAAYUMMM... Thats NICE!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021