NBD - BFR Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, Oct 23, 2020.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Bongo, Baby! This bass is stunning to look at and a pleasure to play. To me, the shape is very comfortable and seems to be more ergonomic than what the oval would suggest. I could go on... Yes, I am a fan. This one is Honduran Mahogany through and through. A beautiful Satin Honey Burst finish is quite nice. I played it last night and the tone is just what one would expect from EB. I have a set of La Bella flats standing by which should make this sound as warm as she looks. I know, shut up and give us the photos. Ask any questions... I love the Bongo's!

A48724FD-B084-4D32-8AD8-81B0B6B99AA4_1_201_a.jpeg

A45F8253-F03F-4FDF-A64B-C266183A30DC_1_201_a.jpeg

2250CB70-0AA9-4D89-8C63-759CE97D7B93_1_201_a.jpeg

30DE5EDD-3050-4282-87DA-2D73A72FC322_1_201_a.jpeg

0AEFF2D2-54D8-47D6-B45C-2A068B5724C0_1_201_a.jpeg

D9EC85C6-397F-4F83-8716-AB82FA03FADE_1_201_a.jpeg

2. :drool:

Very nice, congrats on your new bass! I love the finish on this BFR Bongo. I'd love to get my hands on a Bongo some day. I've been rather interested in them lately.

BassJuju and Bassdirty like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's all that really counts! but i'm with on the good looks --- it really does look warm and inviting. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

4. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Oh hell yea! I almost bought that same model last week but went with the Stingray fretless instead, wish I could afford both! Very nice and congratulations on a very nice Bongo!

BassJuju likes this.
  5. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I have one of those too, but mine is a 4. Those are wonderful too! I saw your NBD and loved it.

2milehighspike likes this.
  6. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yesterday, I spent some time with the bass, replaced the strings, did a mini setup and I'll work on finishing that over the next few days. This one plays/feels a lot like my other Bongo, no surprise, but the tone is vastly different. I did add flats, big move toward warm. Even with flats the growl is really sweet. Great basses and a really nice version.

7. Prof.Dr.Metz

Prof.Dr.Metz

Mar 26, 2009
    Wow! What a gorgeous bass! Enjoy

BassJuju likes this.
  8. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    One million times better looking without the pick guard!

thisheregiraffe, TrentB and BassJuju like this.
  9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Congrats and enjoy!

10. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    i like it without the guard as well, but with the right guard, it can look good.

9CDC2D92-3A5A-4F6B-98EA-38033B779900.jpeg

KingShiv likes this.
  11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    What other Bongo do you have? This one is easily one of my very favorite Bongos I’ve ever seen.

12. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    The one in the post above... I replaced the P/G. The Bongo Fam...

32676481-43A1-4D04-B6B4-6AC11D71AE8B.jpeg 8264F9A7-0E58-4FB0-94FD-28CAF12926CB.jpeg

Epitaph04 and thisheregiraffe like this.
  13. I too prefer it sans pickguard, but I'm pretty anti-pickguard in general so that goes for almost all basses :roflmao: Looks are of course secondary to feel and sound though, so if they play great then I can live with any kind of pickguard!

14. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I can understand that for sure. The surprising thing for me, as I shrink the heard, is just how few of my Basses now have guards.

Still, as similar as these two are, the tones are quite different. But you know, tone wood doesn’t matter. :roflmao:

15. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Beautiful!

An HH4 has been my main player for about 2 years. Huge open tone, most comfortable and balanced, neck size similar to Jazz.

BassJuju likes this.
  16. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Colorado
    great looking bass, i was thinking of picking one of these mahogany body bongos up too and have a older 2008 bongo.
    how would you compare tone between your bongos?

BassJuju likes this.
  17. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Well I love Bongos (although yet to own one). And this one must be the coolest looking one I've seen. Congats, awesome bass!

BassJuju likes this.
  18. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    The tones from the Bongo with the pre and blend knobs, is quite varied. That is available on both basses. The thing that I would say is this, with all settings in the middle on each bass, volume dimed, and both pickups on full, the basswood bass is snappy and articulate and the mahogany has a warmth to the tone. I accented those attributes by using rounds on the one and flats on the other. The B string on every EBMM I’ve played is the best around. I know, every one says that about their 5, but I’ve bought and sold a lot of 5’s of various scales and materials. I’ll never own another brand of 5.

So, when I need big raucous rock like aggressive growl, the Barolo with rounds comes out. When I need rich mellow warmth with punch in the fundamental and just a touch of growl in the sustain, the Honeyburst comes along. Hmmm.... it just occurred to me that they kind of live up to their names. One a fiery Italian woman and the other a lady as smooth as honey. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Hope that helps and enjoy. You can’t go wrong.

PS. I played the BFR Honeyburst at CME a while back. If they still have, it’s really special. Ask for Scott, he’s amazing and a bass player.

bassjamn likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021