NBD: BFR Redwood StingRay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ox Boris, May 25, 2017.

1. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    TL;DR - Oooo! Shiny! All my favourite stuff in one Bass. I can stop looking, I have everything I need :)

I spent some time in Northern California around this time last year. We visited a redwood forest and had a tour & talk. I really loved the look of the redwood and thought it'd make a beautiful Bass. I was there to pick up a neck-through StingRay, my first Bass and something I've really enjoyed playing. It was a great time, with good family; the first time I ever played my StingRay was up in the woods around Sebastapol, with some great Swampy Blues dudes, everything about that trip and that bass was just beautiful memories.

I had a Jazz-type 5-string for a while, never really liked it, it was just too big and wide and cumbersome, I really wasn't ready for a 5. Then, at rehearsal last week, my current StingRay went on the blink and I had to play the 5. It was like driving a car with two clutch-pedals. As I dove for the open E...BOOM! went the low B. Not a good night. By rehearsal last night I'd restrung it E-A-D-G-and-sod-taking-off-that-last-G and got through ok. But that neck is massive.

So, last week it's clear I need a back up Bass. I knew these redwoods were around, but I hadn't looked in earnest. I was so lucky to find one in Oz, let alone an HH. It arrived today and I slipped it out of the box and slipped in the Sandberg TM5 which was taken in trade, RTS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    OOOOH... THAT IS SO PRETTY :woot:

Ox Boris likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

neat story/connection! congratulations on your new instrument --- a real looker! :thumbsup:

Ox Boris likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Daaaaaaaaaaaang.

pjbassist and Ox Boris like this.
  5. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    There are two laminated barcodes in the case. Obviously original and preserved....why? Do people like that sort of thing when collecting?

6. BB3000S

BB3000S Bass Player Deluxe Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Thats a stunning instrument indeed, and the HH adds some wicked sound options - congratulations and enjoy!

Ox Boris likes this.
  7. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Thanks.

Here's the info from EBMM: E55967 - This StingRay HH was completed on May 13th, 2008. The color is Redwood with the Honduran Mahogany neck. 1000 year old Redwood stumps were used for the tops on these, the body wood is Ash.

HeavyDuty and pjbassist like this.
  8. Nice one! Congrats.

Ox Boris likes this.
  9. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Man, is it just me or has there been a glut of fancy stingrays showing up here in the last few weeks? I'm certainly not complaining, and that's a particularly nice example. The white binding really helps that redwood top pop, not that I imagine it needed it.

Ox Boris likes this.
  10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Beautiful...

Congrats, and Enjoy!

Ox Boris likes this.
  11. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Congratulations! I always thought the redwood tops were the bee's knees.

Ox Boris likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022