NBD - Bongo 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Adhesive_X, Apr 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IMG_2527.JPG So I took a road trip to a GC to check out a used lakland, which i quickly put down.
    Wandered over to the new basses and said to the GF, "ooh they have a bongo 5,
    good thing its on the top shelf or ill end up playing it"

She was rather annoyed and said "it took us an hour to get here you better play it".
    She's a great enabler. Even in a noisey GC it sounded amazing.

Found it new at bass central shipped to the house for $1350 which i thought was a steal.

I am blown away by this bass. I can't imagine a situation where it couldn't fit in perfectly.
    It has an awesome burp and honk yet is still able to retain meat and heft.
    Also, light as a feather and after i set it up it plays effortlessly.

Finally after a couple decades and countless basses and pickup swaps i have the sound in my head.

To the people in future projects that have an issue with its looks, thats your problem. She's a beauty......

2. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    They do have a uniqueness about them. Glad you're satisfying.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Congrats! Nice bass.

Spend time with the pre as it takes some time to dial in different tones IMO.

I've owned 2 Bongo 5ers and they are amazing basses.

The only negatives IMO is that the headstock is long and fit into few gigbags that won't run the finish on the tip and the basswood body dings very easily.

Beyond that? Total tone machine!

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. laneline

laneline Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    North Jersey
    Congrats on a killer Bongo, that is a monster sale they are having on MM's, you did good, no make that really good. Nice Sterling as well, is that a Rosewood neck or maybe Roasted ? a\All the best with your great duo.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Did you buy a bass or some kind of large carnivorous goose?

6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Congrats on a great bass. I've gigged my Bongo 4HH as my main for over 5 years and I don't have a dent on it. There's a very thick poly coating on the body which is very protective. You'd have to whack it hard to dent it. That's my experience anyways.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    $1,350 is a great deal! The Bongo is a tone monster if you take the time to figure out what it can do.

BrentSimons and pudgychef like this.
  8. Yeah, it has a rosewood neck. I love it. I think between the two I can dial in just about any tone.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Nice Pickup on the bongo. I love the look of those.
    What are those pedals you are using??

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. Aftershock and B7K, empress compressor, mooer rage machine, boss ls-2 and ns-2

11. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    I don't play any Ernie Ball Music Man Basses, but I'm very familiar with the Bongo. Ernie Ball hit a home run with this Bass. I have to say, it does look like a toilet bowl. LOL. But a fantastic Bass, nonetheless. Congratulations!

12. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    BTW, Bass Central rocks! Mike, Grasshopper, and Keith are fantastic people, and it's the only place I buy my Basses! I highly recommend people visiting their website; especially "New Arrivals"!
    www.basscentral.com

13. me jealous
    f!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Can only agree. It is one of the best sounding basses I had ever the pleasure to play. But damn, it looks ugly. Ernie Ball please put out a prettier version

HiEnd Basses likes this.
  15. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Love it! Congrats! I really miss my Bongos....always gassing for a Single H 4 or HS

16. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm going with...
    Fifi.jpg
    CARNIVEROUS GOOSE

Lovely Bongo, @Adhesive_X . Those sound so great. Awesome finish and wood combination!

fclefgeoff and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    Nice bass! I've GAS'd for a Bongo 6 on and off for a while now.

18. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Welcome to the club. I have the HH/ piezo 5 string. Definite keeper.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  19. DuncanStan

DuncanStan

Dec 16, 2015
    Are the pickup placements the same on those things?

20. It does look like a UFO and a toilet seat had a love child. A sterling that sounded like a bongo would be the a great combo

HiEnd Basses and nonohmic like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021