1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - brought home a B.C. Rich

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bugeyed Earl, Dec 26, 2016.

1. I was vacationing out of town for a week, and negotiated plenty of spare time to hit a bunch of pawn shops and music stores. I was looking for something different from the basses I already have to use in a hardcore punk project, and was thinking active electronics might be the ticket. Right off the bat I found a BC Rich Eagle for a fair price, but I didn't buy it immediately because it's very similar to most of my other basses. I kept looking, but I couldn't get the Eagle out of my mind.

I eventually found a great deal on an Ibanez SR500, but I couldn't really connect with it for some reason. I waited a week and checked out some other basses knowing there was a fair chance the Eagle would be gone when I went back, but sometimes I like letting fate/dumb luck help make decisions like this, and as it turns out, the universe wanted me to own it. I'll find an active bass some other day...

I believe this is an early 80's model, it has "Made in Japan" stamped on the neck plate, and no serial number to be found. From what I've pieced together, this example was made during the period after the early imported "B.C. Rico" models, and before the "NJ Series." The DiMarzio pickup sounds fantastic, though the reversed layout forces me to play closer to the bridge than I'd like, I want to install some sort of thumb rest to anchor a bit closer to the neck.

Noaxngdxn2MYyO2VoRZJI8Mowfc7qcQiHv82qPebRBV4iZLhqsmaP5XiaWANUaxf8Ijq5QrkzTMTfG97tg4=w709-h945-no.

3H6DI6Ozy6pI_ZZAG632eFT00IroMXoF60uNk1Rb0AxtJeHxA2oZ1CyrqXX-YU_doJi2qorVBGfnSqwoIiq=w709-h945-no.

zXQXbV6RvMd2Ma3hWpxvIyils-rQmTsd30Or5A-s0vI9aS48iuoQNV6RYW4bZoRWPKoavd-L22w_aitT3ZU=w709-h945-no.

2. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    That's nice kinda has old seagull lines to it

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  3. Yeah, I've read that it was derived from the Seagull design. Most B.C. Rich guitars are a bit over the top for my taste, but I've always liked the Eagle.

AndyPanda and woodyng2 like this.
  4. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have one of those:

BCRichEagle-1. [/URL]

5. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    The old ones were classy, before they got all pointy. Mockingbird is about as extreme as I could go, though I could learn to love a Virgin

6. Very nice, yours is only the second example I've seen besides mine (found a pic of a red one that was for sale on a forum in the UK a few years ago.) Does yours have a serial number, and if so, is it on a decal?

Agreed, though I'd like to have a Warlock someday if I can find one with dual P pickups, mostly because I like the idea of a very non-metal-fan looking old man playing one...

Old Blastard, kodiakblair and BurnOut like this.
  7. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Agreed, though I'd like to have a Warlock someday if I can find one with dual P pickups, mostly because I like the idea of a very non-metal-fan looking old man playing one...[/QUOTE]
    There was one here on CL going cheap not long ago

8. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    In all the years I've owned this bass, yours is only the second example I've seen also. I bought mine used in the early 80s. So, I'm thinking mine must be very early 80s, or perhaps late 70s.
    As far as serial number, I'll have to check. It is not currently in my possession. For years, I've kept it at a friends studio; he was killed in an auto accident in August; his current wife I have only met briefly at his funeral. I have no way to prove it is mine. I don't know how to approach getting it back. It may be as simple as asking.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I used to have an Eagle. Also: Let Them Eat Jellybeans = my young, impressionable mind was blown.

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think if you called after the holidays and very politely asked if you could retrieve your bass from the studio, it'll work out ok.

11. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Here's a BC Rich being put to very good use:

12. If that is what I think it is, those DiMarzio pups from that era are nothing short of spectacular.

Congrats! Nice bass, and nice wall!

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  13. I think it's what you think it is :), it's superb and a big part of the reason I bought the bass.

chadface likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congrats on your new instrument! looks like you scored very nicely! :thumbsup:

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  15. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    IMG_0597.JPG Congrats,looks like a cool bass,and those demarzio pickups are the bomb.
    I used to own one of the early Eagles back in the bygone daze....

matty1039 and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  16. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Excellent song too. That's on the Planet Funk album, which I have, and just gave a copy of to my sister for Christmas. I've seen this video but never contemplated that it was a BC Rich bass.

JCooper and ahc like this.
  17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats! The 80's era MIJ Rich's are fantastic basses.
    My brother-in-law still has his that he bought back in high school and it has served him faithfully all these years.

18. Never had and Eagle but I did have way way over the top BC Rich NJ Beast not only sharp looking but sharp in the true sense of the word this thing could impale you. Good luck with it congrats

upload_2016-12-27_15-49-30.

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  19. Robert Sperling

Robert Sperling Crazybassman72

Jan 26, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    preview. Had this B.C. Rich Warlock back in the days!

Plutonium244 and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  20. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Which carrot did you use to take this picture?