1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD, but...cracks in the finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:21 AM.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I recently bought a Lakland 44-02 from someone online and the seller claimed that there wasn't any damage to the bass. When it arrived today I opened the case to find two 1" - 1.5" surface cracks.

Here's the bass in the case and I have circled one of the cracks:
    Crack three_LI.

Here's a closer a few closer looks:
    Crack one_LI.
    Crack two_LI.
    Crack four_LI.

I looked at the ad pic of the bass and I can't see the crack between the two control pots - the other one would be really hard to see.

20190705_165130.

What could have caused this? He lives in a southern state and I live in Washington state if that matters. The bass was shipped in a hard shell case and there was no apparent damage to the box. Is this just crappy luck? Can the cracks be fixed?

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I don't know but looks like the one between the knobs ….I'm guessing some kind of pressure was put on the box and on the edge of the hard case right above the two outermost knobs. Are the two knobs pushed in hard against the body of the bass?
    Another thing you can do is take a front shot of the bass from the same angle as that of the seller's and see if the crack shows up in the photo. Could just be the angle of the seller's photo in which the cracks don't show up.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It doesn't look like pressure was put on the hard case - I don't see any apparent damage to the case. one edge of the shipping box does have some damage which was taped up - by who, I don't know. The case was wrapped in bubble wrap as well.

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Super bummer part of this is it's a 50th birthday present.

5. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    That sucks. I don’t think they are big enough to bother me (i our enough wear and tear on my basses), but I’d be honked off if the description didn’t match what I got.

I’m not sure that those look like shipping issues. It’s a poly finish, so weather shouldn’t matter (and it’s summer so you don’t have any freeze/thaw issues), and it really doesn’t look like the kind of damage that would happen in shipping.

My suspicion is that probably the seller didn’t notice them when describing the insteument

hintz, Coolhandjjl and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    My opinion, those are hardware-related and not due to any physical trauma to the instrument. I bet they happened over time due to pressure applied to the finish from the bridge and pot-mounting fasteners.

Also my opinion, if you buy a pre-owner instrument, you shouldn’t be appalled by something as minor as finish cracks that are not visible in all shades/angles of light.

Chrisk-K, Aqualung60, Ghastly and 4 others like this.
  7. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I have received damaged basses in undamaged cases. Sometimes a drop might jostle the instrument and it hits the inside of the case itself.

Does it still play and sound nice?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    My frustration is more about asking whether there was damage and finding that there is. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew about the cracks.

What can I do to keep them from spreading?

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It definitely still plays and sounds nice. I got a truly screaming deal - half off original price with hard case shipped. The cracks just sour things.

10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Depending on exactly how the online ad was worded, I'd consider asking for a partial refund. I don't care if the seller noticed it or not - those cracks don't qualify as "no damage."

Clutchcargo, Ghastly and wmhill like this.
  11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Good point. It was listed in "excellent" condition and when I asked if there was any damage he said no. It does look like the one between the controls happened some time after the picture in the ad was taken.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    Ghastly likes this.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Regardless of cause, I would definitely ask for some money back as it got to you in a condition that wasn't as stated. How much? I don't know what would be fair, but perhaps you could have a luthier look at it to quote you a price for repairing the damage and prevent it from getting worse- it might give you a better idea of how much to ask for. I probably wouldn't ask for the full repair cost as you got a great deal on the bass, but something fair.

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Sounds like a good plan.

14. It looks to me like the usual sort of finish cracking or checking that can happen with poly finish. That can be down to something as minor as change in temperature and humidity changes.

I'm guessing you didn't pay 'new' money so it may be a stretch to want it in 'new' condition. The imperfections are so slight as to make me wonder if the seller had even noticed them, if they were even there when the bass shipped. I wonder, does this TB'er have buyer's remorse? For I would not kick an otherwise decent bass out of bed for an imperfection in the finish.

ajkula66 and hintz like this.
  15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    They won't. They're edge to edge, so they're done moving.

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Nope, didn't pay "new" money for it - far from it for sure. It's just disappointing to expect something to arrive one way and to have it arrive a different way. Cracks on the back? No problem. Cracks on the front are different.

It looks like the cracks are related to parts being screwed down when it was made and were progressive. It's entirely possible that the one between the controls was hidden and spread quickly when the bass was being shipped. I'll bet a Fedex worker heaved the box onto another box and the crack spread across.

Ghastly likes this.
  17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Can
    Can they be filled with CA glue to be less noticeable? Mainly concerned about the one between the controls since it's at an angle.

18. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    That's a tough one. As others have mentioned, could have happened on the way to you and not the seller's fault at all (unless he didn't safely package it in the first place and still, even a well packaged bass going through very rough handling could get damaged due to carelessness of the shipping company).

If it bothers you that much, I would notify the seller and see if he is willing to give you some cash back.

Otherwise, just put it up for sale (with clear pics of the cracks so any potential buyers can see what they'd be getting) for what you paid and get your money back.

If you keep it, no biggie. They're only slightly noticeable and don't affect playability. Also, those won't get any worse. I don't think they can repair those without refinishing the entire body - which, if you fall in love with the bass and want it looking pristine, would be worth the cost.

Nice looking bass though, so cracks aside, congrats :)

19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    That's going to make it a lot MORE noticeable. CA makes finish sink. If it was nitro finish you could use retarder or lacquer thinner to solvent the edges together, but it's not and there's nothing that will do that on poly that I'm aware of. I would seriously just leave it alone. It won't get worse.

20. Damn straight. Let us know how things sort out with the seller.

Ghastly likes this.