NBD - but what is it really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sstillwell, Oct 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    Picked up a new Fender Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series...tobacco burst, white pick guard, maple fretboard with block markers (that's what made it call my name, to be truthful...).

Here's the weird part, though - serial number says Mexi 2015 (MX15xxxxxx), and it's got the Fender high-mass bridge, Noiseless Jazz pup...but it's passive VVT. I thought they were only making this bass as the Active model now (I've got one of those, too).

It plays REALLY well, and I haven't had a bass with maple fretboard since my very first "real" bass, a 75 Precision. It just seems odd that I don't find much reference to a passive model being built recently.

Any ideas?

2. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    Ahhh...missed something, maybe pertinent - it has a "Fender Special Edition" sticker on the back of the headstock. Dunno - have to go read up on that.

3. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
  4. I played one just like that at a GC a little while ago. It was a very nice bass.

5. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    Just replaced the Fender high-mass bridge (nice, but a pain to adjust, and cheap screws that strip out heads WAY too easily) with a Babicz FCH and did a better setup on it than what it came with. MUCH better now. I'll try to get a few gigs under my belt with it before deciding whether I want to replace the stock pups with Fralins. Between the synthetic bone nut and Babicz, it's got some serious sustain now. Woo!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021