NBD! Carvin AC50 Fretless. They literally don't make 'em like this anymore!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Jan 26, 2018.

1. I've always wanted a Carvin AC50, and I found one on GC used! It must have just popped up the day I bought it. It already has exactly the same specs that I would have ordered!!!

(Claro?) Walnut top
    Mahogany Neck/Body
    Chambered body
    Ebony unlined fretless board
    Tamarind Wood knobs

Also came with a Carvin hard case, for $549!

I really can't believe my luck! Thank God!

v8pjC3w.jpg
    HUZch3e.jpg
    P5q6nXM.jpg

I don't know what kind of strings those are, but they are to die for! The bass is already set up, I will just clean the body. Sounds great and the electronics are fully functional.

I had finally saved up enough to order one and I found out they they were discontinued. I was so sad. But happy to have one now!

I've been strictly a fretted player up until now, but I am not having any problems on the fretless so far. It's like my fingers already know where to fall.

2. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Nice. Very nice. Congrats.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Looks like TI Jazz Flats to me.

TN WOODMAN and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  4. Update! Decided this bass needed a little TLC, so I cleaned the strings and cleaned the entire bass (including fingerboard and bridge) with Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil. The whole bass had a white, dusty look to it before I cleaned it. The bass looks even better and the figuring in the wood shows more clearly now.

Also, it turns out that all of the strings were twisted! So I got them straightened out while I had them loose. Also, the tuners were a little bit loose so I tightened the back screws and tightened the nut on each tuner.

Also, I was trying to figure out when this bass was made (serial number 95xxx) and I found an ebay listing. Turns out it was previously sold for $800 back in January 2016!

K7x4amj.png

I'm guessing that each previous owner determined that fretless wasn't for them.

bholder likes this.
  5. Tabsinc

Tabsinc

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi I just purchased this bass from GC yesterday. I don't have it yet...was wondering why you sold it ?Problems I should be aware of? Thanks

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What a deal. And it's beautiful!!!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. I could not get the sound I wanted from the piezo pickup. I prefer to have a traditional magnetic pickup

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  8. I love TI tone but give Tapewounds a try. My fav unfortunately are the discontinued GHS. I have Rotosound Tru 88s on one bass and Fender Tapes on another but want to try the La Bellas.

9. Gdeak

Gdeak

May 21, 2016
    San Diego
    I believe tapewounds won't work with piezo pups. I haven't tried it because the explanations sound correct. But I'd search this site before you drop $ on new tapewounds.

10. All strings work with piezos. Someone lied to you.

I already had tapewounds so I did not need to buy new ones.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021