1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Caught a (Rob Allen) Mouse...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brossmac, Jan 15, 2018.

1. brossmac

brossmac

Mar 1, 2005
    Camas, WA
    So here's the path to today...

I started out as a guitar player in my teens. Not serious, just messing around but played in a few bands. Played a fretless bass in my 20's and found my instrument. Picked up a custom 5-string fretless Fender Jazz Special and played in a band for a while. (Being a recent guitarist and not knowing better, I tuned the high C string to a B....) Then marriage, family, etc.

A few years ago the girls in family were all getting ukes for Christmas and I thought I should get a bass to play along. Found a Washburn AB-20 in a used shop in Portland and it became mine. In the years since, I've been buying and trading up and around, looking for my true instrument. Get into upright for a while with a Dean Pace first and then an NS NXT4 Omni, but the physicality of it was a strain, so I decided to look for a fretless bass guitar that was comfortable and had a really good upright kind of sound.

I decided, naturally, on a Rob Allen Mouse. Of course it was right after several were sold here on TalkBass. I kept my eye open, put a bid on one but didn't get it. Then I decided to do a search on Facebook of all places. And that very day, Chad posted a picture of one that he had at The Bass Shop in Seattle (a mere 3 hour drive from me!). I swapped some emails with Chad letting him know I was really interested and arranged to drive up to take a look (and actually get to play one!).

View attachment 2877136

The Data:
    WEIGHT: 5 lbs. 13 ozs.
    SERIAL #:
    DATE: 2015 (Not sure this is accurate. This is Chad's estimate.)
    NUT WIDTH: 1 5/8"
    SCALE:
    30"
    COLOR: Natural Satin Finish
    BODY/NECK/FINGERBOARD: Alder w/ Figured Walnut Top/ Birdseye Maple/ Lined Goncalo Alves

Needless to say, it is now mine! I've had it for about a week and am seriously in love. It's so comfortable and easy to play. I am, however, getting used to the scale and the fact that the fret lines are pretty faint on the neck side and hard to see. Got to work on that muscle memory. And the weight of it is just amazing (especially after the Epiphone Zenith I was playing most recently...).

Somebody on here talked about the way that the notes on the Mouse "bloom" as you play them and, man, what a great description. It's almost onomatopoeia. The initial pluck has a bit of boom that softens (like "BL") and then the tone just opens up to sustain ("OO") until the string and the fretboard hum with a bit of 'mwah' ("M").

Here it is.
    20180115_114101. 20180115_114104. 20180115_114116. 20180115_114119. 20180115_114127. 20180115_114141. 20180115_114148. 20180115_114212. 20180115_114220.
    I've been practicing a lot more than usual because it really is a joy to play...

Speaking of a joy, I have to give a shout out to Chad (and Jeff) of The Bass Shop in Seattle. It was a real pleasure dealing with them. I highly recommend them.

2. brossmac

brossmac

Mar 1, 2005
    Camas, WA
    BTW, check out that thumb rest. Anybody know about that? Did Rob use those for a while? Was this a custom job?

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    They are amazing. One of maybe 3 basses I wish I had back. It sounds more like an upright than an upright - plugged in of course. I had serious jazz guys tell me it was the best sounding bass for jazz gigs that they had ever herd. I was so stupid to sell mine. Enjoy!

4. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Absolutely stunning.

5. brossmac

brossmac

Mar 1, 2005
    Camas, WA
    That's a sentiment I've seen more than once on these forums and part of what made me think that they are something special and worth owning. I had a feeling I'd really like it, but I'm glad I had a chance to play it before buying it.