1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! *cheap jazz bass content*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Endo, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Endo

Endo

Nov 29, 2014
    Hungary
    Hey everyone!

Yesterday I was at a local music shop to get some strings for my bass. It's not a big shop, they only have 9-10 basses at a time. I always check the bass section, in hope of finding something special. Well, guess who went home with a bass this time :D
    I found a used Baltimore by Johnson Jazz Bass for only 60$ with a thick Rockbag case, and I couldn't leave it there. It's a standard jazz bass, nothing special. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, some cheap string which I changed immediately, standard (probably chinese) hardware, and original pickups.

Cons:
    - one of the tuning pegs were broken but I changed it
    - it has some scratches on the back of the body (but since it's a second hand bass, it doesn't matter)
    - some screws were missing, but I had some spare at home
    - the action was set up horribly, the neck was straight but the string rattled. Set it up in 30 minutes

Pros:
    - after setting the action, it plays like a dream. The C shaped neck is very comfortable
    - the bass weights 8 lbs which is pretty light
    - the original pickups sound better then I expected
    - the new set of Ernie Ball Slinky strings gave the bass a snappy tone, which I was looking for
    - cleaned the fretboard with some lemon oil, and it looks very nice now. The frets are in good shape, and the sunburst finish looks really awesome

Of course it's not the best bass in the world, but for this price this is a keeper. Some moddig will be done: new pickguard, cts pots, WoodHead pickups, maybe a new bridge and tuners.

Oh, and of course, the pics:

WP_20170123_12_48_26_Pro_zpsyyg7luri.
    [​IMG]
    WP_20170123_12_48_38_Pro_zpss9zmbe4c.
    WP_20170123_12_48_48_Pro_zps17hrnjzj.
    WP_20170123_12_49_40_Pro_zpsvh5ekmka.
    WP_20170123_12_49_19_Pro_zpsqzau68dw.

Roosevelt, fourlow, NigelD and 9 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think you did really well: it looks super --- glad you got it playing! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

All that for $60, some spare parts lying around and some elbow grease?! Super sweet!! :woot: :thumbsup:

And yeah, that bland pickguard has got to go. Personally, I'm a fan of black guards on sunburst. Black pearl can also look rather posh, but that's just me. What are you thinking of?

4. prister

prister

Nov 18, 2016
    Poldark country
    It's Jaco time!

Seriously, good score. If it sounds half as good as it looks, it's a bargain.

5. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Looks like my Coxx Jazz-bass, bought for 120$. Plays great, great mids, very honky.....I`ve never thought of buying a Fender for 1k after that.

6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Right on, congrats!

7. Fenderon

Fenderon

May 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I love stories like that. There's a lot of great cheap basses out there.

8. Endo

Endo

Nov 29, 2014
    Hungary

Thanks guys! I was thinking of a tortoise shell pickguard, but black pearl is a good option too. I think i'll stick with that :woot:

NigelD and Malak the Mad like this.
  9. Endo

Endo

Nov 29, 2014
    Hungary
    The project is going on slowly :D Some modifications have been done in the past few months:
    - black pickguard
    - new Ernie Ball Slinky Strings
    - CTS pots
    - black Stratocaster style knobs

The new tuners will arrive next week. They will be smaller than the ones on the bass

IMG_20170718_124828_zpsu18d6iqu.
    IMG_20170718_125018_zpsqyokewbd.

10. Endo

Endo

Nov 29, 2014
    Hungary
    I also bought a Johnson MM style copy for 35$ :hyper: It's sparkling metal black, with a maple fretboard. The fit and finish is awesome, the sound is decent, but it cries for active electronics. As soon as I'm finished with the jazz, this will be the next project

IMG_20170718_132726_zps8fdclepc.
    IMG_20170718_132748_zps2bk0kibm.
    IMG_20170718_132753_zpsypzw1vxv.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  11. Great score but can I ask what benefit you see for spending $32 on CTS pots ?