NBD: Chinese CV70’s P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Aug 11, 2020.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Found a CV 70’s p bass on CL, and worked out a deal. Traded my Affinity j bass + $100, and got the bass and an Ibanez powerpad gig bag. I’m stoked on that, as it’s now my nicest gig bag, and actually protective enough to use for gigs. The bass is a dang good bass, with a fabulous tone. Any one have an idea what these flats are? They sound darker than the Fender 9050’s on my other p, but that could be a lot of factors. Anyway, here’s pics! C18DAEA9-44C8-47C5-9582-C784EF4A9537.jpeg C62544E2-1210-40E8-9C59-EA60E5E8B735.jpeg 9A5003DF-B88C-4A07-9DF1-FDDB7D0AAD81.jpeg 40F146C2-A9B4-44CA-91CC-E6EF2DE38A10.jpeg
    My only gripe is that the dead fret/note is pretty noticeable, the C/5th fret on the G string. It doesn’t kill the groove, but if you try to hang on it for a half note or more, you’re sitting silence soon.

2. Wild guess, GHS flats. A dead note sometimes be somewhat alleviated by adjusting the truss rod. 9050's are fairly bright for flats, they sound great on Rics.

Aqualung60 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats!
    You'll get over it. Rumor has it that Phil Lesh loves Dead notes. :roflmao:

4. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    It almost sounds like the entire G string is a little weak in the fundamentals, I’m wondering if it’ll get better with different strings. I’m going to try a few string sets I have lying around before getting to upset over the dead fret.

5. Raise that part of the pickup up a little, that's kind of common with Fender P basses.

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Could be twisted. Could be a bad string. I don't know my silk colors enough to venture a guess as to what's currently on there, but to @bobyoung53's point, a string change and a proper setup can sometimes do wonders. Best wishes.

PennyroyalWe and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I did that, it helped a little. That C is still unhappy about getting coaxed out though. :/

8. Are those light med or heavy gauge strings? Big G's are louder and more resonant everything else being equal.

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

man, that looks so sweet! i love that look. good luck with your "dead notes" thing (i wouldn't worry too much about it!) and congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

10. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I can’t say with certainty, but they feel like mediums. Feel similar to the 45’s on my other p.

bobyoung53 likes this.

11. Have you tried setting it up at all? How's the action?

12. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    It came well set up, the ad said they’d just had it set up at GC, and I believe it. I tightened the truss a tiny bit to get the relief to my preference, but the action seems fine. Low, but not too low, no buzzing when I dig in. could even come down a touch, but I’d think that would make the problem worse?

bobyoung53 likes this.

13. That's a problem spot with a lot of Fenders, either B, C or C# in my experience, yeah I would think if you lower the action it would get worse.

14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Congratulations!!!!
    You make a smart choice on a great china made bass guitar. Lot I play and try before are light in weight, no one get close to my previous 9lbs CV60P, 9.5lbs CV50P and 10.5lbs CV60J.

Regard the character on this CV70P , the stock pup sound little aggressive and punchy than CV60P and fender player P.
    I dint own one, but I have few customer own it. I found this bass sound pretty nice , meaty tone and punchy with Fender 7250ML 45-100, DR Lo rider nickel 45-100 ,
    Dunlop super bright nickel 45-100 .

Sure Flatwound work on it, but my personal preference is Flatwound bass string sound very Nice on rosewood CV60P , my favorite are Ti flat are Labella LTF4A.

My2cents and Hopehelp.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  15. Cardsfan85

Cardsfan85

Apr 9, 2014
    Florida
    Great bass and great trade on your part!!

16. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Well, it’s got me scratching my head a little, bit I lowered the saddle just to see what happens, and it improved! I got the action down a touch, the C sounds better, and it’s a little easier to play. I won’t complain!

One Way, MCF and bobyoung53 like this.

17. Good, you never know, congrats on the new bass.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    From the headstock shot, look like a set of chrome flat installed. There are many factory which cause dead spot sound more dead meanwhile some string (different winding or tension )could move the dead spot hide under the fret wire or add more sustain on dead spot area.

My advice is remove all tuning machine, clean it, reassembly and tight all the screws without over tighten.
    Next remove the neck from body, clean the wood dust or wax dust , reassembly.
    The last is remove the bridge and clean the body surface and reassembly.

Sometime, this could make the bass sound better than before. Especially on low string and dead spot sustain.

Hopehelp

One Way, Haroldo, KJMO and 1 other person like this.
  19. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Thanks for the tip! I have no doubt a good cleaning would do wonders for any bass but that’s quite a lengths to go to at this point. For now I think I’m happy with what I’ve gotten from setting it up a tad. Next string change though, I just may take it all the way down for a cleaning.

bobyoung53 likes this.

20. One thing I do do though is always make sure the neck and bridge screws are good and tight.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021